PressureDrop/Pressure/Volumetric flow rate calculation (in a Pipe)

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the pressure and volumetric flow rate at the end of a pipe with known variables such as pressure, length, and diameter. The fluid in question is water, and the goal is to create a mathematical computer model. To do so, more information is needed such as the flow rate or conditions at the end of the pipe. Bernoulli's equation is suggested as a possible solution, but it is important to know the entire system in order to accurately calculate the flow through it.
knight92
Hello,

If I have the following known variables:

- P1, Pressure of fluid entering the pipe = 50 psi
- L, Length of pipe = 10 in
- D, Diameter of pipe = 0.5 in

I want to learn how to calculate:
- P2, Pressure of fluid at the end of pipe.
- Q1, Volumetric flow rate of fluid entering pipe.
- Q2, Volumetric flow rate of fluid at the end of the pipe.

Fluid is water.

How can I calculate the pressure and volumetric flow rate at the end of the pipe? What assumptions can I use to get a basic value? The pipe diameter does not change. If I differentiate the volume of pipe over one second does this mean that my Q2 will be 1.96 in^3/s ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You need more information. Either the flow rate, or the conditions at the end of the pipe.

Does the pipe dead-end at a plug? Does it go into a tank at some known pressure? Does it just open-end to atmosphere?

Look up bernoulli equation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

If the pipe is open to atmosphere, the pressure at the end is atmospheric.

In that case, for such a short length of pipe, I'd probably assume the pipe is a low efficiency nozzle (maybe 25%?) and use Bernoulli's equation to calculate the exit velocity.

Thank you for the replies.

The pipe is connected to another restriction at the end and I do know the restriction size but I do not know what the pressure or flow rate is at the end of the pipe. The purpose is to create a mathematical computer model, so what if I assumed the initial pressure at the end was atmospheric for the first iteration? Can I then use bernoulli's equation to compute the velocity at the end of the pipe and then feed that back into the Bernoulli equation assuming no height change therefore pgh =0?

Edit: I have just realized that I still do not know the initial flow rate Q1

knight92 said:
The pipe is connected to another restriction at the end and I do know the restriction size but I do not know what the pressure or flow rate is at the end of the pipe.
"Another restriction"? Besides just the pipe or is there more you haven't told us? Can you draw us a picture? Knowing what the entire system looks like is pretty critical for finding the flow through it!
The purpose is to create a mathematical computer model, so what if I assumed the initial pressure at the end was atmospheric for the first iteration?
After the restriction or before it? Is there anything else after the restriction you haven't told us about?
- Q1, Volumetric flow rate of fluid entering pipe.
- Q2, Volumetric flow rate of fluid at the end of the pipe.
[separate post]
Edit: I have just realized that I still do not know the initial flow rate Q1
Unless there is a receptacle or additional opening somewhere in your system, conservation of mass demands the flow in and flow out be the same.

Is the fluid compressible or incompressible?

1. How do you calculate pressure drop in a pipe?

To calculate pressure drop in a pipe, you must first determine the flow rate and the properties of the fluid being transported, such as density and viscosity. Then, you can use the Darcy-Weisbach equation or the Hazen-Williams equation to calculate the pressure drop. These equations take into account factors such as pipe diameter, length, and roughness, as well as flow velocity and friction losses.

2. What factors affect pressure drop in a pipe?

The main factors that affect pressure drop in a pipe are the flow rate, pipe diameter, pipe length, and the properties of the fluid being transported. Other factors such as pipe roughness, elevation changes, and fittings can also contribute to pressure drop. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating pressure drop in a pipe.

3. How do you calculate pressure in a pipe?

To calculate pressure in a pipe, you can use the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the velocity and elevation changes of the fluid. Alternatively, you can use the ideal gas law if the fluid is a gas, or the hydrostatic equation for liquids. These equations can help you determine the pressure at any point along the pipe.

4. What is the relationship between pressure and volumetric flow rate in a pipe?

The relationship between pressure and volumetric flow rate in a pipe is described by the Bernoulli's equation. As the flow rate increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa. This is due to the conservation of energy principle, where the fluid experiences a decrease in potential energy (pressure) as it gains kinetic energy (velocity) in order to maintain a constant total energy.

5. Can you calculate the volumetric flow rate in a pipe without knowing the pressure?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the volumetric flow rate in a pipe without knowing the pressure. This can be done by measuring the flow velocity and using the continuity equation, which states that the product of the cross-sectional area and velocity of a fluid remains constant along a pipe. However, knowing the pressure and other factors can provide a more accurate calculation of the volumetric flow rate.