1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Triple Integrals in Mathematica

1. May 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate ∫∫∫[itex]\sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2}}[/itex] dA where R is the region bounded by the paraboloid y=x^2+z^2 and the plane y=4

2. Relevant equations
    I believe this is a problem where cylindrical coordinates would be useful

0 ≤ z ≤ [itex]\sqrt{4-x^2}[/itex]
    0 ≤ r ≤ 2 ( I think this is wrong).
    0 ≤ θ ≤ 2[itex]\pi[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Integrate[ r^2, {\[Theta], 0, 2*Pi}, {r, 0, 2}, {z, 0, Sqrt[4 - r*Cos[\[Theta]]^2]}]

There isn't an output when I enter this line. I checked for the syntax on the wolfram reference page so I think the problem is with the limits of integration.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the source of your integral? What is it supposed to represent? I say this because you have a triple integral with dA rather than dV.

4. May 4, 2013 #3
    This problem was given to me by my instructor.

5. May 4, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, I figured it wasn't revealed to you in a dream. But what is the ultimate source of this integral? Is it a problem out of a book? Have you solved faster than light travel? Is a new mathematics about to be revealed to us?

You realize, I hope, that there seems to be something missing: You have a triple integral of a function with respect to what appears to be a differential element of area dA. Three integrations, two variables with respect to which the integration could be carried out. It's not clear how this integral is supposed to be calculated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted