Calculating Unit Impulse Response

In summary: HarrisIn summary, the homework statement is that find the unit impulse response of the following LTI system: y[n+2] + y[n+1] + y[n] = x[n+1] - x[n] . TheAttempt at a Solution is to rearrange for y[n+2]: y[n+2] = x[n+1]-x[n]-y[n+1]-y[n] . Starting iteration at n = -1, h[1] = &[0] - &[-1] -h[0] - h[-1] and h[n] = {0, +1, -2, +1, +1
paul_harris77
I am trying to teach myself DSP, owing to bad lecture notes. In particular at the moment I'm trying to calculate impulse responses for LTI systems, given the system equation. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me if my working and assumptions below are correct for the following question:

Homework Statement

Find the unit impulse response of the following LTI system:

y[n+2] + y[n+1] + y[n] = x[n+1] - x[n]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearrange for y[n+2]:

y[n+2] = x[n+1]-x[n]-y[n+1]-y[n]

Since input is an impulse, and output is impulse response, can replace x with delta (&) and y with h.

h[n+2] = &[n+1] - &[n] - h[n+1] - h[n]

By the definition of impulse response, it is a zero state response, i.e. h[n] = 0 for all n<=0 - IS THIS CORRECT?

Therefore h[0] = 0

Starting iteration at n = -1

h[1] = &[0] - &[-1] -h[0] - h[-1]
h[1] = 1-0-0-0 = +1

n=0
h[2] = &[1] - &[0] - h[1] - h[0]
h[2] = 0 -1 -1 -0 = -2

All delta (&) terms are zero from now on.

n=1
h[3] = -h[2] -h[1]
h[3] = +2 -1 = +1

n=2
h[4] = -h[3] - h[2]
h[4] = -1 +2 = +1

Continuing in this way shows that h[n] = {0, +1, -2, +1, +1, -2, +1, +1, -2, +1, +1, -2, ...)
i.e. oscillatory response.

Please could someone tell me if my working is all correct, and if this is the correct answer?

Many thanks

Paul Harris

Physics news on Phys.org
paul_harris77 said:
I am trying to teach myself DSP, owing to bad lecture notes. In
Since input is an impulse, and output is impulse response, can replace x with delta (&) and y with h.

h[n+2] = &[n+1] - &[n] - h[n+1] - h[n]
By the definition of impulse response, it is a zero state response, i.e. h[n] = 0 for all n<=0 - IS THIS CORRECT?
Paul Harris

Hi Paul,

Your answer seems fine to me.

You don't need to guess what h[0] is. It can be calculated by letting n=-2 in your last formula. This is a second order difference equation, by "find impulse response", you can assume h[-2]=h[-1]=0.

I would rewrite it as h[n]=&[n-1]+&[n-2]-h[n-1]-h[n-2], with h[n] identically 0 for n<0 which means causal and system is completely at rest before getting tickled. Actually, you only need to ensure h[-2] and h[-1] = 0. This is equivalent to finding particular integral of a second order differential equation with initial conditions as y(0)=0 and dy/dt(0)=0.

Solving h[n] this way is said to use "brutal force". You can use z-transform and it gives you more insights.

I suggest reviewing Signals and Systems first before jumping into DSP.

Good luck!

Hi Klondike

Thanks for the reply. Glad I'm on the right track :) We've been chucked in at the deep end with no prior experience in SP of any kind and just a load of notes with definitions and no explanation! There was a previous exam question like this yet no examples on how to do it...

Once again thanks!

Best wishes

Paul

1. What is a unit impulse response?

A unit impulse response is the output of a system when a unit impulse signal is applied as the input. It represents the behavior of a system when it is excited by a short duration, high amplitude signal.

2. Why is calculating unit impulse response important?

Calculating unit impulse response is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a system and how it responds to different inputs. It is also useful in designing and analyzing systems, such as filters and control systems.

3. How is unit impulse response calculated?

Unit impulse response is calculated by applying a unit impulse signal, such as a Dirac delta function, to the input of the system and observing the output. This can be done analytically using mathematical equations or numerically using computer simulations.

4. What information can be obtained from the unit impulse response?

The unit impulse response provides information about the frequency response, stability, and time-domain behavior of a system. It can also be used to determine the system's transfer function, which is useful in system analysis and design.

5. How is unit impulse response used in practice?

Unit impulse response is used in many practical applications, such as signal processing, control systems, and communication systems. It can be used to design filters, equalizers, and other systems to achieve desired responses. It is also used in testing and diagnosing systems to ensure they are functioning properly.