Calculating Vector Field for f(z)=-iz

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the given function f(z) = -iz is an analytic function, and the vector field v=u(x,y)i -v(x,y)j can be calculated by finding the gradient of the scalar field. The resulting vector field can be graphically represented by drawing arrows at different points on the x and y axes, as well as on the line y=x.
imagemania

Homework Statement

f(z) = -iz is an analytic function [i being the complex number]
Calculate the vector field v=u(x,y)i -v(x,y)j

Homework Equations

z = x+iy [Im assuming z here is the complex z not a varaible z]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've not learned polar vector calculus yet, so i need to do it via x & y's

z = x+iy
hence f(z) = y-ix
So u(x,y) = y
v(x,y) = -x
We know the gradient of a scalar field is a vector field.

∇f(z) = (∂/∂x i + ∂/∂y j + ∂/∂z k)(y-ix)
= -i i + 1 j

I don't think this is correct as it is not in the form it says it should be in, the plus and minus are the wrong way...

I also need to draw arrows to represnt this graphically at the y axis, x-axis and y=x.

Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your attempt at finding the vector field is correct. The minus sign is just a convention and does not affect the actual vector field. Your vector field can be written as v = -x i + y j, which is equivalent to u(x,y)i -v(x,y)j.

To graphically represent this vector field, you can draw arrows at different points on the x and y axes, as well as on the line y=x. The length of the arrow can represent the magnitude of the vector at that point, while the direction of the arrow can represent the direction of the vector. For example, at the point (1,0) on the x-axis, you would draw an arrow pointing to the left with a length of 1, since v(1,0) = -1 i + 0 j. Similarly, at the point (0,1) on the y-axis, you would draw an arrow pointing upwards with a length of 1, since v(0,1) = 0 i + 1 j. And at the point (1,1) on the line y=x, you would draw an arrow pointing to the top left with a length of √2, since v(1,1) = -1 i + 1 j.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work with your studies!

Related to Calculating Vector Field for f(z)=-iz

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept used to represent the behavior of a vector quantity, such as force or velocity, in a given space. It is typically represented by arrows, with the length and direction of the arrows indicating the strength and direction of the vector at each point in the space.

2. How is a vector field calculated?

A vector field is calculated by determining the value of the vector at each point in the space. This can be done by using mathematical equations, such as the gradient or curl, or by visualizing the field and estimating the values.

3. What is the function f(z)=-iz?

The function f(z)=-iz is a complex-valued function, where z is a complex number. The function takes the complex number z and multiplies it by the imaginary unit i, resulting in a new complex number. In this case, the function is also known as the complex conjugate of z.

4. How is the vector field for f(z)=-iz represented?

The vector field for f(z)=-iz is typically represented by arrows, with the length and direction of the arrows indicating the strength and direction of the vector at each point in the space. Alternatively, it can also be represented by a graph or a set of equations.

5. What is the significance of calculating the vector field for f(z)=-iz?

Calculating the vector field for f(z)=-iz can help in understanding the behavior of the function and its complex numbers in a given space. It can also be useful in solving mathematical problems, such as finding the path of a particle moving in a complex field or determining the direction of force acting on a complex object.