Calculating Vector Norms: Solving for Magnitude of Vectors

  • Thread starter Thread starter kwal0203
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Norm Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
kwal0203
Messages
69
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[itex]u=(2,-2,3)[/itex]
[itex]v=(1,-3,4)[/itex]
[itex]w=(3,6,-4)[/itex]

1.
[itex]\left \| 2u-4v+w \right \|[/itex]

2.
[itex]\left \| u \right \|-\left \| v \right \|[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution



1.
[itex]\left \| 2(2,-2,3)-4(1,-3,4)+(3,6,-4) \right \|[/itex]
[itex]\left \| (4,-4,6)+(-4,12,-16)+(3,6,-4) \right \|[/itex]
[itex]\left \| (3,14,-14)\right \|[/itex]

[itex]=\sqrt{3^{2}+14^{2}+(-14)^{2}}[/itex]
[itex]=\sqrt{9+196+196}[/itex]
[itex]=\sqrt{401}[/itex]

answer in book is [itex]\sqrt{529}[/itex]

2.
[itex]\left \| (2,-2,3) \right \|-\left \| 1,-3,4 \right \|[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{2^{2}+(-2)^{2}+3^{2}}-\sqrt{1^{2}+(-3)^{2}+4^{2}}[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{4+4+9}-\sqrt{1+9+16}[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{17}-\sqrt{26}[/itex]

answer in book is [itex]\sqrt{26}[/itex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work is correct.

I see three possibilities:
1) The answers in the book are wrong.
2) You have copied the problems incorrectly.
3) You have accidently copied the answers for the wrong problem.
 
Hmmm, this is strange. I knew my method was correct so I went on to the next set and still my answers are not matching the book! Thanks for your input :)