Calculating Vertical Jump on Earth and the Moon

In summary, the average person's vertical jump on Earth is 6.67x10^-11(m Earth x m person)/(0.40)^2 while on the moon, it is G(m moon x m person)/r^2.
alison16

Homework Statement

On Earth, an average person's vertical jump is 0.40m. What is it on the Moon?

Homework Equations

Fg 1 on 2 = G(m1m2/r^2)
G= 6.67 x 10^-11

The Attempt at a Solution

r= 0.40m
F Earth on person on Earth's surface = 6.67x10^-11(m Earth x m person)/(0.40)^2
r=?
G moon = ?
F moon on person on Moon's surface = G(m moon x m person)/r^2[/B]
I'm pretty stuck, and I don't understand if Earth is helpful in solving it or not. The textbook does not give any relevant values/equations except for the ones I typed under 1 and 2. Is G of the moon also 6.67 x 10^-11?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alison16, Welcome to Physics Forums.

G is the same for Earth and the Moon and anywhere else; it's what's called a Universal Constant and applies everywhere.

What information do you have about the masses or relative masses of the Earth and Moon? Or perhaps you were given some information about the relative strength of gravity on the Moon versus Earth? You might have to look these things up in your text or course notes.

Thanks! I think I found more information. In an example problem, it uses 6.0 x 10^24 kg as Earth's mass. And Moon's as 7.35 x 10^22 kg. Will I use Earth's mass to find the m person? And then use that information to solve F moon on person on Moon's surface = G(m moon x m person)/r^2?

alison16 said:
Thanks! I think I found more information. In an example problem, it uses 6.0 x 10^24 kg as Earth's mass. And Moon's as 7.35 x 10^22 kg. Will I use Earth's mass to find the m person? And then use that information to solve F moon on person on Moon's surface = G(m moon x m person)/r^2?
I think a better approach would be to find the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon's surface (you should already know what it is at the Earth's surface), and then think about conservation of energy. When a person makes a jump, they give themselves some initial kinetic energy depending upon their strength. Assume that it's the same amount of energy they can manage in both cases.

The difference will depend upon two things- the difference in masses of the Earth and moon and the difference in radii of the eath and moon.
For a person of mass m on the Earth [itex]F_e= \frac{GmM_e}{r_e^2}[/itex] where [itex]M_e[/itex] the mass of the Earth and [itex]r_e[/itex] is its radius. Similarly for a person of mass m on the Earth [itex]F_m= \frac{GmM_m}{r_m^2}[/itex] where [itex]M_m[/itex] the mass of the moon and [itex]r_m[/itex] is its radius.
The ratio of force on the moon to force on the Earth is one divided by the other [itex]\frac{GmM_m}{r_m^2}\frac{r_e^2}{GmM_e}[/itex]. The "Gm" terms cancel leaving [itex]\frac{M_m r_e^2}{M_er_m^2}= \frac{M_m}{M_e}\left(\frac{r_e}{r_m}\right)^2[/itex].
Now, how is the height an object can rise to determined by the gravitational force on it?

I understand now! Thank you all very much! :)

1. How does the strength of gravity differ between Earth and the Moon?

The strength of gravity on Earth is significantly greater than on the Moon. Earth's gravity is about 9.8 meters per second squared, while the Moon's gravity is only about 1/6th of that, at 1.6 meters per second squared.

2. Why is there a difference in gravity between Earth and the Moon?

The difference in gravity between Earth and the Moon is due to their different masses. Earth is much larger and more massive than the Moon, which results in a stronger gravitational pull.

3. How does the difference in gravity affect objects on Earth and the Moon?

The stronger gravity on Earth means that objects will fall faster and with more force compared to objects on the Moon. This also means that it takes more energy to launch objects into space from Earth than from the Moon.

4. Can humans live on the Moon with its lower gravity?

While humans can survive on the Moon, the lower gravity would have a significant impact on their bodies. Long-term exposure to the lower gravity on the Moon could lead to muscle atrophy and bone density loss. Therefore, it is not currently possible for humans to live on the Moon permanently.

5. How does the difference in gravity affect the tides?

The difference in gravity between Earth and the Moon is what causes the tides on Earth. The Moon's gravity pulls on the Earth, causing the ocean waters to bulge towards the Moon, creating high tides. The Earth's rotation also plays a role in the tides, but the Moon's gravity is the primary driving force.