Calculating Voltage Source in AC Circuit

In summary, the problem is to find the source voltage for a single phase circuit containing a resistor, inductor and load in series. The approach is to use apparent power and power factor, and solve for voltage across each component. Once voltage across each component is known, the phasor sum of all the voltages can be used to calculate the source voltage.
MechEngJordan
Hello,

I'm currently working on a problem involving the calculation of an unknown voltage source of a circuit containing a resistor, inductor and load in series.

Unfortunately, the problem sheet does not give an answer at the end, so I am unsure as to whether my approach is correct -- hence this post. I suppose I'm really looking for guidance on how to tackle this kind of problem.

1. Homework Statement

Calculate the source voltage and draw the voltage and current phasor diagram for the single phase circuit.

Screenshot (202).png

Homework Equations

[tex]Real Power, P = \widetilde{|V|}\widetilde{|I|}cosφ[/tex]
[tex]Complex Power, S = \widetilde{V}\widetilde{I}^*[/tex]
[tex]Apparent Power, |S| = \widetilde{|V|}\widetilde{|I|}[/tex]
[tex]Power Factor, cosφ = \left(\frac{P}{|S|}\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I was undertaking the following approach:

From the load rating and power factor given, the apparent power and phase angle can be deduced; thus the power can be calculated from the power factor relationship.

The current may then be determined from the real power equation.

Now, voltage across each component can be calculated and the phasors summed to determine the source voltage.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MechEngJordan said:
Hello,

I'm currently working on a problem involving the calculation of an unknown voltage source of a circuit containing a resistor, inductor and load in series.

Unfortunately, the problem sheet does not give an answer at the end, so I am unsure as to whether my approach is correct -- hence this post. I suppose I'm really looking for guidance on how to tackle this kind of problem.

1. Homework Statement

Calculate the source voltage and draw the voltage and current phasor diagram for the single phase circuit.

View attachment 82508

Homework Equations

[tex]Real Power, P = \widetilde{|V|}\widetilde{|I|}cosφ[/tex]
[tex]Complex Power, S = \widetilde{V}\widetilde{I}^*[/tex]
[tex]Apparent Power, |S| = \widetilde{|V|}\widetilde{|I|}[/tex]
[tex]Power Factor, cosφ = \left(\frac{P}{|S|}\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I was undertaking the following approach:

From the load rating and power factor given, the apparent power and phase angle can be deduced; thus the power can be calculated from the power factor relationship.

The current may then be determined from the real power equation.

Now, voltage across each component can be calculated and the phasors summed to determine the source voltage.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
For a series circuit like this, all components have the same current. Start by drawing a current phasor as the reference for everything else. The current is found from 10MVA / 10kV = 1 kA. Then draw the voltage across each component, in-phase, leading or lagging as appropriate. The phasor sum of all the voltages will be the supply voltage.

Likes MechEngJordan
tech99 said:
For a series circuit like this, all components have the same current. Start by drawing a current phasor as the reference for everything else. The current is found from 10MVA / 10kV = 1 kA. Then draw the voltage across each component, in-phase, leading or lagging as appropriate. The phasor sum of all the voltages will be the supply voltage.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply; it helped confirm my understand of the problem solution.

1. How do you calculate voltage in an AC circuit?

To calculate voltage in an AC circuit, you need to use the formula V = I * Z, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and Z is the impedance. You can also use the formula V = I * R, where R is the resistance. Make sure to use the correct units for each variable (e.g. amps for current, ohms for impedance/resistance).

2. What is the difference between AC and DC voltage?

The main difference between AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) voltage is the direction of the flow of electricity. In an AC circuit, the direction of the current changes periodically, while in a DC circuit, the direction of the current remains constant. AC voltage is also typically measured in terms of frequency (Hz) and amplitude (volts), while DC voltage is measured in terms of a single value (volts).

3. How do you convert between AC and DC voltage?

To convert AC voltage to DC voltage, you can use a device called a rectifier, which changes the AC current to a pulsating DC current. To convert DC voltage to AC voltage, you can use a device called an inverter, which changes the DC current to an AC current. However, the conversion process may not be 100% efficient, so some energy may be lost in the process.

4. Can you calculate voltage in an AC circuit without knowing the current?

Yes, you can calculate voltage in an AC circuit without knowing the current by using the formula V = I * Z, where Z is the impedance. However, in order to accurately calculate voltage, you will need to know the impedance value, which is a combination of resistance and reactance. Additionally, you will need to know the frequency of the AC current.

5. How does the voltage source affect the overall voltage in an AC circuit?

The voltage source is the component that provides the initial voltage in an AC circuit. The voltage source affects the overall voltage in the circuit by determining the amplitude (or peak value) of the voltage. This means that if the voltage source increases or decreases, the overall voltage in the circuit will also increase or decrease accordingly. However, the frequency of the AC current will remain constant.