Calculating Volume of Solid Using Triple Integral

In summary, to find the volume of the given solid, a triple integral in a cylindrical coordinate system can be used. The coordinate system can be rotated if necessary, and the volume element is rdrdθdy. It is also possible to rewrite the problem by switching the y and z variables.
physics&math
1. Use a triple integral to find the volume of the given solid.

The solid enclosed by the cylinder x^2 + z^2 = 4 and the planes y = -1 and y + z = 4

This looked like a cylindrical coordinate system to me, except for the fact that it is not cylindrical around the z-axis but the y-axis. I tried to fix this problem by "rotating" my coordinate axes so that my old z-axis would be my new x-axis, x would become y, and y would become z. I'm not sure if this is a valid approach or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
It makes no difference mathematically how we name the coordinate axes. The coordinate system ##(r,\theta,y)##, with
##x=rcos\theta##
##z=rsin\theta##,
is as valid a cylindrical coordinate system as the usual ##(r,\theta,z)##.

Now the volume element is ##dxdydz=rdrd\theta dy##. Note that because of the plane ##y+z=4## all of the integration limits in the volume calculation are not constants, one of them is a function of ##r## and ##\theta##.

Hilbert1 is absolutely correct. However, if you lack his sophistication, you can just rewrite the problem switching the y and z. They are just symbols, right?

Thank you both so much!

Related to Calculating Volume of Solid Using Triple Integral

1. How do you set up the triple integral for calculating volume of a solid?

The triple integral for calculating volume of a solid is set up by determining the bounds of integration for each variable. This is done by considering the limits of the solid in each direction and expressing them in terms of the variables, typically x, y, and z. The integral is then written as the product of the three bounds, with the integrand representing the volume element.

2. Can the triple integral be used for any type of solid?

Yes, the triple integral can be used to calculate the volume of any type of solid, including irregular shapes and solids with curved surfaces. This is because the integral takes into account the entire volume of the solid, regardless of its shape or orientation.

3. How is the triple integral different from the double integral?

The triple integral is an extension of the double integral, as it integrates over three variables instead of two. The double integral is used to calculate the area of a region in a plane, while the triple integral is used to calculate the volume of a solid in three-dimensional space.

4. What are the applications of calculating volume using triple integrals?

Calculating volume using triple integrals is useful in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in fluid mechanics, where the volume of a fluid flowing through a three-dimensional region must be calculated. It is also used in calculating the mass of an object with a varying density throughout its volume.

5. Are there any limitations to using triple integrals for calculating volume?

One limitation of using triple integrals for calculating volume is that it can be time-consuming and complex for certain shapes and solids. In these cases, other methods such as using cross-sectional areas or approximations may be more efficient. Additionally, the triple integral may not be applicable for calculating the volume of objects with infinite volume, such as fractals.