Calculating water pressure from bernouliis equation

In summary, a power station receives water from a reservoir through a pipeline controlled by a valve located 500 meters below the surface of the water. To calculate the static pressure at the lower end of the pipeline when the valve is closed, Bernoulli's equation is used. By plugging in values for the density of water, gravity, and height difference, the static pressure at the bottom of the pipeline is found to be approximately 4.9x10^6 N/m². The diameter of the pipeline is not a significant factor in this calculation.
victoriafello
A power station is supplied with water from a reservoir. A pipeline connects the reservoir to the turbine hall
The flow of water through the pipeline is controlled by a valve which is located exactly 500 metres below the surface of the water in the reservoir. The pipeline is 0.30 m in diameter.

Calculate the static pressure at the lower end of the pipeline when the valve is in the closed position

relivant equation

bernouliis equation

P + 1/2 rho v^2 + pgh = constant

my attempt so far -

for the surface of the reservior
P1 - atmospheric pressure 1.00x10^5
rho1 = density of water 1.00x10^3
g = 9.81
h1 = 0
v1 = 0 (water is not moving)

for the bottom of the pipe
p2 - unknown
rho 2 = density of water 1.00x10^3
g = 9.81
h2 = 500
v2 - 0 (water not moving)

rearrange for p2

p2 = 1/2 Rho (V1-V2)g(h1-h2)-P1

this gives

1/2*1.00x10^3+1.00x10^3*9.81*(0-500)-1.00x10^5

so p2 = 4904500

or 4.9x10^6

can someone let me know if i went wrong anywhere as this doesn't look correct? i don't think the diamter of the pipe is important for this part of the equation,

Physics news on Phys.org
I've got this question too victoriafello...am currently working on it and will have something, at any rate, posted soon this morning..

Someone I know worked out the answer to the first question as 4.90e6 N/m² too...so I reckon you may well be right on that one

I got this of the same person for the second answer:

pipe area = πD²/4 = π(0.3)²/4 = 0.0707 m²
water flow = 5.00 m³/s
V = water velocity = 5.00/0.0707 = 70.7 m/s
V²/2g = (70.7)²/2g = 255 m of H2O
gauge pressure = 500 - 255 = 245 m of H2O => (4.90e6)(245/500) = 2.40e6 N/m² ANS-2

Last edited:

1. What is Bernoulli's equation and how is it related to water pressure?

Bernoulli's equation is a mathematical equation that relates the velocity, pressure, and height of a fluid in motion. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. In the case of water pressure, Bernoulli's equation can be used to calculate the pressure at different points in a fluid flow, such as in a pipe or over an object.

2. How is water pressure calculated using Bernoulli's equation?

To calculate water pressure using Bernoulli's equation, the equation must be rearranged to solve for pressure. The formula for this is: P + (1/2)ρv2 + ρgh = constant. P represents the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid. By plugging in known values and solving for P, the water pressure at a specific point can be calculated.

3. What factors affect the water pressure calculated using Bernoulli's equation?

The water pressure calculated using Bernoulli's equation is affected by several factors. These include the velocity of the fluid, the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the fluid. Additionally, the shape and size of the object in the fluid flow can also affect the calculated water pressure.

4. Can Bernoulli's equation be used to calculate water pressure in all situations?

No, Bernoulli's equation is based on certain assumptions and can only be used in certain situations. For example, it assumes that the fluid is incompressible and has a constant density, and that there is no friction or energy loss in the fluid flow. In real-life situations, these assumptions may not hold true and therefore the calculated water pressure may not be accurate.

5. How is Bernoulli's equation used in practical applications?

Bernoulli's equation is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of airplanes, pumps, and ventilation systems. It is also used in hydraulic engineering to calculate water pressure in pipes and channels. In addition, it is used in weather forecasting to understand the airflow over terrain and how it affects weather patterns.