Calculating wavelengths of light

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the wavelength of light needed to excite the pi electrons of B-carotene from n=11 to n=13. The wavelength of light for B-carotene is known to be 450 nm, but the individual is struggling to understand how to arrive at this answer. They believe it may have something to do with the number of pi electrons or the length of the conjugation chain. They are looking for input and clarification on the concept, as it is their first class on the subject. It is mentioned that the energy difference between the two molecular orbitals or two states should correspond to the energy of the photon with a wavelength of 450 nm.
YamunaVargr
So. I need to calculate the wavelength of light that's required in order to excite the pi electrons of B-carotene from n=11 to n=13. The Length of the wavelength of L is 17.7 A.
I know how to look at the particle in a box method. And I know that the wavelength of light for B-carotene is 450, which is why a carrot is orange.
But I'm not quite grasping how to get the answer. 450 was incorrect.
Is there some math that I'm not realizing that I need to do?
I feel it should have something to do with the amount of pi electrons? Or the length of the conjugation chain?

Any input would be really helpful. This my first class on this subject, and I'm trying to stay caught up with all the new information.

Physics news on Phys.org
If a photon comes from outside, or if the molecule is irradiated with light, electrons in the HOMO can be excited to the Lumo.
(I think that's what I'm going for.)
The energy difference between the two molecular orbitals or two states should correspond to the energy of the photon whose wavelength is 450 nm.

I feel like there should be a relatively simple way of going about this.

FAQ: Calculating wavelengths of light

1. What is the formula for calculating the wavelength of light?

The formula for calculating the wavelength of light is: wavelength = speed of light / frequency. This is known as the wave equation and it is often written as λ = c / f, where λ represents the wavelength, c represents the speed of light, and f represents the frequency.

2. How do you determine the frequency of light?

The frequency of light can be determined by dividing the speed of light (c) by the wavelength (λ). This can be rearranged as f = c / λ. The frequency of light is measured in Hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second.

3. What units are used to measure the wavelength of light?

The wavelength of light is typically measured in nanometers (nm) or meters (m). Nanometers are often used for visible light, while meters are used for other types of electromagnetic radiation such as radio waves.

4. How is the speed of light determined?

The speed of light is a constant value that is determined by the laws of physics. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s) in a vacuum. This value can also be written as 3.00 x 10^8 m/s.

5. Can the wavelength of light be calculated for all types of electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, the wavelength of light can be calculated for all types of electromagnetic radiation, as long as the frequency is known. This includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. However, the formula may vary slightly depending on the type of radiation and the units used.

Back