Calculating y-Coord of Center of Mass in Unique Shape

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
phsyics_197
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


____
l _ l
l_l l_l

Find the y-coordinate of the center of mass. Each side l / _ is length a.
I got an answer of 1.25a, but that isn't right.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Area of each section * x-coordinate of center of mass. (the area missing is negative)
Then divided by the total area
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi phsyics_197! Welcome to PF! :wink:
phsyics_197 said:
____
l _ l
l_l l_l

Find the y-coordinate of the center of mass. Each side l / _ is length a.
I got an answer of 1.25a, but that isn't right.

(hmm … I can see from the "QUOTE" box that that's supposed to be two squares on level 0, and three squares on level one)

Show us how you got 1.25, and then we can see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile: