Calculation of equivalent resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem statement regarding calculating the equivalent resistance between two points, with one having zero resistance and the other having a resistance of 24 ohms. The conversation mentions using symmetry to solve the problem and ultimately reveals that the equivalent resistance is 6 ohms.
Abhijit
1. The Problem Statement

Calculate the equivalent resistance between O and the circumference. Each wire has 24 ohm resistance and the circumference has zero resistance.
?temp_hash=b91f6b9349f237b1a236963a41e0fb6d.jpg

2. Homework Equations

Not needed.3. Attempt at solution
I tried to use symmetry to solve this problem. I understand that we can break the network into half and every resistance except those on the diameter will become 12 ohm. What should I do next? https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/211003

Attachments

• question.JPG
    question.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 367
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes curious_mind
Physics news on Phys.org
There is much more symmetry to exploit.

Likes scottdave and Abhijit
Thanks, mfb. I finally got the answer after three folds.

Likes scottdave
mfb said:
There is much more symmetry to exploit.

Hello ,

This is quite an interesting problem .

Is equivalent resistance 6 Ohm ?

conscience said:
Hello ,

This is quite an interesting problem .

Is equivalent resistance 6 Ohm ?
Hi Conscience,

Yes. you're right. The answer is 6 ohm.

Likes conscience and scottdave

1. What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the single resistance value that represents the combined effect of multiple resistors in a circuit. It is the resistance that would produce the same amount of current as the original combination of resistors.

2. How is equivalent resistance calculated?

Equivalent resistance is calculated using the formula Req = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn, where R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit. This formula applies to resistors in series. For resistors in parallel, the formula is 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected end-to-end, creating a single path for current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected side-by-side, creating multiple paths for current to flow. This results in different calculations for equivalent resistance for each type of circuit.

4. How do I know which resistors are in series and which are in parallel?

In a circuit diagram, resistors in series are represented by being placed one after the other, with no branches. Resistors in parallel are represented by being placed side-by-side, with branches connecting them to the main circuit.

5. Can the equivalent resistance of a circuit ever be lower than the individual resistances?

Yes, the equivalent resistance of a parallel circuit can be lower than the individual resistances. This is because the more paths there are for current to flow, the easier it is for the current to flow through the circuit, resulting in a lower resistance.