Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of Permissible Jib Crane Load

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    Please redirect if this post is not in the right place.

I want to install a jib crane in my shop. Vertical upright is planned to be a 5" H-beam in concrete, with 12' above ground, 4' into rock below grade level. Horizontal beam will be same, 10' long. (See attached figure)

Am trying to calculate permissible load at end of horizontal beam.

I'm not an engineer. can you suggest a reference an amateur might use to calculate the load?

Thanks

Day Radebaugh

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2
    Not enough information here to complete the design. Need to know the nature of the connection between the column and the beam, which of the H-beams you are using, and its material. This is not an offer to do the design for you, but these are important things to know before proceeding further. I'd also want to know if the beam is hinged at that connection point or not.

Your big concern assuming that all other details are correctly designed is the maximum bending moment, which will be in the column and equal to the product of the load weight and the ten feet. That will give you a moment in ft-lbf.

Then you will want to look up the section properties of the particular beam that you bought. From that, what you are looking for is a simple algerbra problem to solve for a single variable, which is the load required to fail the beam. Then I'd cut that by a safety factor of five, which is a common SF in lifting equipment. If you had more advanced design skills, then you might be comfortable with a smaller SF.

But if your beam is hinged, then you will be dealing with smaller section properties and a smaller capacity.

4. Apr 9, 2012 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You should consult a professional engineer in your area. This is not the kind of thing you should try do design over the Internet. Thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook