Calculation of Spin of Ball in Table Tennis

In summary, table tennis physics can be complicated, but if you know what you're looking for, you can find the spin of the ball after hitting.
Zeeshan86
Hi !

I am working on the modelling of the Table Tennis game.
Can I calculate the Spin of the Ball after hitting without using any camera and any vision system.
I know the velocity of the ball before and after the hitting in all directions (x,y,z) and velocity of the racket as well.
Is there any mathematical formula or relationship to find the spin of the Ball after hitting ?

Regards,
Zeeshan

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know how spin is given to the ball ... iirc it's from oblique striking with the bat: the ball rolls a bit along the bat. Sort of.

You'd need to model that. But the short answer is: yes.

The rubber sheeting on a table tennis paddle is quite elastic in both normal and parallel to surface reactions, resulting in a lot of spin. If the paddle isn't moving the tendency is to reverse the spin on the ball. So even a motionless paddle can return top spin against a heavy top spin if the paddle is angled downwards enough to keep the ball from going high or long. The wood also affects the normal (perpendicular to surface) reaction so the math would be pretty compicated.

There was a previous thread here about table tennis physics, and I think there was a link to some article that examined the amount of spin involved. I seem to recall maximum top spin speeds over 100 rev/sec (over 6000 rpm).

Last edited:
I think the spin of the ball (or the change of angular velocity) is due to the friction. You should consider angular momentum in this case.

Zeeshan86 said:
Is there any mathematical formula or relationship to find the spin of the Ball after hitting?
You'd need to know the "tangental" coefficient of restoration (parallel to surface) of the table tennis sheet. Note that this value changes somewhat depending on circumstances (for the same type of table tennis sheet).

If reversing the spin, such as top spin versus top spin, the surface speed of the ball as it leaves the racket will be greater than the speed of the racket surface. As mentioned above, the racket can be held motionless mostly face down (called a block) against a heavy top spin shot (loop) and the ball will leave with both a lot of speed and a lot of top spin.

I found the previous thread that has some links to articles about this.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=595269

Last edited:

1. How is the spin of a table tennis ball calculated?

The spin of a table tennis ball is calculated by measuring the angular velocity of the ball as it rotates around its axis. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a high-speed camera or a spin measuring device.

2. What factors affect the spin of a table tennis ball?

The spin of a table tennis ball can be affected by several factors, including the type of racket used, the type of rubber on the racket, the speed and angle at which the ball is struck, and the surface of the table.

3. How does the spin of a table tennis ball impact the game?

The spin of a table tennis ball plays a crucial role in the game as it affects the trajectory and bounce of the ball. It can also make it more challenging for the opponent to return the ball, adding an element of strategy and skill to the game.

4. Can the spin of a table tennis ball be controlled?

Yes, the spin of a table tennis ball can be controlled by players through their technique and the type of shots they use. Top players are skilled at generating different types of spin, including topspin, backspin, and sidespin, to deceive their opponents.

5. How does the spin of a table tennis ball affect the speed of the game?

The spin of a table tennis ball can affect the speed of the game by either increasing or decreasing the ball's velocity. For example, topspin shots tend to be faster as they are hit with a downward force, while backspin shots are slower as they are hit with an upward force. This adds variety and complexity to the game.