1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 2- Hooke's Law Spring problem

1. May 25, 2013 #1
    Calculus 2- Water pump problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The lower half of a sphere with radius 2m is filled with water. Find the work needed to pump the water to a point 1m above the centre of the sphere.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know you have to cut the problem into small pieces, and you have to label a "x" anywhere you want but you have to solve the problem based on which part you label the x (see attachment). But I have no idea where to label the x and how to get the integral with that information. And also what is the limits I put in the definite integral? I know it has to do with the x you choose but how to know which limit to use?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You forgot the attachment.

4. May 25, 2013 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you didn't have to worry about which part you'd label "x", then how would you go about it?
    Wouldn't you define a coordinate system first - exploiting the symmetry of the situation?

Note: it would take an infinite work to pump all the water into a point - since water does not readily compress that far.

Perhaps you just need to lift the water to a height 1m above the initial level of the water?

5. May 25, 2013 #4

Sorry forgot, there it is.

6. May 25, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Cool - looks like x is decided for you.
    Isn't it the position of the disk with thickness dx in the diagram?

I also don't see what this has to do with Hook's Law.

Anyway - it sounds to me that you are trying to apply an equation you do not fully understand.

Start by defining a coordinate system. You can put the origin anywhere you like - so use your knowledge of geometry and the symmetry of the system to put it where it makes the math easier.

Notice that a disk of thickness dx at height x has mass dm (which depends on the density of water and the volume of the disk)...

The amount of work you need to lift a mass dm to height h from height x is dW. dW=... (you finish)

7. May 25, 2013 #6
    My BAD!

my bad I got the title wrong.

Well here is another attachment...

So the volume of the disk is [itex]\pi[/itex](4-x^2)dx ([itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex]h)
    dw = [itex]\pi[/itex](4-x^2)dx x 1000 x 9.8 (density of water and gravitational acceleration) x dx

Wait...work is force times distance, what would be the distance be? The distance from dx to the 1m mark above the bowl? so x+1? So the Work (W) would be dW * (1+x)?

And the integral would be that as well? and the limits of the definite integral would be 0 to 2?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted