1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 2 - Infinite Series Question - Estimating Series with Positive Terms

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following convergent series. Then complete parts a throw d below.

sum[k=1,inf] 5/k^7

a. Find an upper bound for the remainder in terms of n

2. Relevant equations

Estimating Series with Positive Terms
    Let f be a continuous, positive, decreasing function for x >= 1 and let a_k = f(k) for k = 1,2,3,.... Let S = sum[k=1,inf] a_k be a convergent series and let S_n = sum[k=1,n] a_k be the sum of the first n terms of the series. The remainder R_n = S - S_n satisfies

R_n <= integral[n,inf] f(x)dx.

Furthermore, the exact value of the series is bounded as follows:

S_n + integral[n+1,inf] f(x)dx <= sum[k=1,inf] a_k <= S_n + integral[n,inf] f(X)dx

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm unsure how to do this problem. I believe that I'm trying to evaluate

S_n + integral[n,inf] f(X)dx

I have no problem find the value of integral[n,inf] f(X)dx
    but am not sure how to find the value of S_n. I would now how to find the value of this if I was asked to find upper bound for the error for the first 50 terms, I could then find S_50 by just finding the sum which would be a finite number, but I am unsure how to find the upper bound in this case were I guess I'm trying to find the value of S_n in this case would be S_inf which I'm not sure how to do. Thank's for any help which you can provide me with.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The remainder (or error) is
    [tex]\int_n^{\infty}f(x)dx = \int_n^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^7} [/tex]

4. Oct 22, 2011 #3
    Well this problem was one of my homework questions which I do online in this program in which I input my answer and it told me I was wrong when I entered 5/6. Have I done something wrong?

5*integral[1,inf] dk/k^7 = 5/6

5. Oct 22, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes. If you want to estimate the series by using the first 50 terms of the series, the error is
    [tex]R_{50} = \int_{50}^{\infty}5x^{-7}dx[/tex]

You have this in your relevant equations, but you must not have thought it to be relevant...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  6. Oct 22, 2011 #5
    Alright well I entered 5/(6n) and it still told me I was wrong.

7. Oct 22, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have been told that an upper bound for the error is
    [tex]\int_n^\infty \frac{5}{x^7}dx= 5\int_n^\infty x^{-7}dx[/tex]

What is that? (It is NOT 5/(6n)!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook