Can I succeed in a physics career without mastering calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of studying calculus and its importance in pursuing a career in physics research. The speakers express their struggles with understanding and memorizing calculus concepts, but acknowledge its integral role in physics. They also discuss the challenges and requirements for obtaining a Ph.D. in physics and express their goals for their future careers. The conversation ends with a request for encouragement and advice on how to improve in calculus.
Ganriki-san
So, I am really terrible with Calculus, but I wish to pursue a career in physics research. So far I have been scraping by well enough, but it is very difficult. I noticed that Mechanics and Electricity & Magnetism are pretty much just applied calculus. Conceptually, I understand calculus just fine, but I am absolutely terrible at working through problems. Essentially I have trouble memorizing and synthesizing the many identities required to work through calculus problems.

What I want to know is:
Is it possible to pursue a career such as physics research without knowing calculus backwards and forwards? I know that there are computer programs (and calculators) that can solve calculus problems, and I'm sure many physicists utilize these tools, because it would be too tedious to work everything out by hand all the time. On the other hand, how can I expect to come up with something new if I do not have a full understanding of what has already been established?

I suspect I already know the answer, and that the solution is to simply try harder and study more often. However, I was hoping to get some input from those in the field.

Physics news on Phys.org
To do physics research you will need a Ph.D. or at the extreme minimum a B.S. which requires going through calculus hell for many hours a day every day for years. Trust me I am in the thick of this right now.

I would have to say that Calculus is an integral part, no pun intended, of Physics. As you mentioned, it will probably be very difficult, if even possible, to derive a new theory without the knowledge of "why" we use Calculus in Physics. When you say it is difficult for you to memorize all of the operators and so on associated with Calculus, are you able to memorize the forumlas & different approaches used in Physics? I am sort of the same as you are accept I have a sponge for a memory, but not so much the conceptual portion. I can remember it all, just can't remember when to differentiate or to integrate and so on. My simple solution was to turn every problem I encounter, even in Chemistry this is helping, into a Physics problem and from there I am able to "visualize" what is happening and what "needs" to happen. I think you should start small with this approach and see if it benefits you in any way. If you cannot grasp it at the early Calculus levels, it will be an up hill struggle for the remainder of your degree. As Phyisab mentioned just for a B.S. in Physics/Engineering, one has to complete Calc I, II, III, & Differential Equations, there maybe even more maths depending on the University. As far as the P.h.D. level, which is what I am striving to attain, the maths get to an entirely different level, I actually don't know what they are, but cannot wait to learn them! Good luck to you and welcome to the forums.

Joe

I too have a sponge for a memory, and I have already completed Calculus I, II, and III, Calc II being the hardest in my opinion because I hate integral calculus. I have yet to take differential equations because I dare say I'm scared of it. I don't think there is any danger of me becoming "rusty" on the subject (not that I'm that great at it), because I am taking Mechanics and E&M right now. They seem as if they will keep my skills sharp. I'm just afraid that my distaste for calculus could cripple my physics career, as I have lofty goals. 3 semesters from now when I get my B.S. in physics, I hope by some miracle that I could be admitted to MIT or Cambridge (or even Trinity) to work on my graduate degree. Ultimately, I hope to end up at NASA or Berkeley as a researcher, but I would settle for a research position at any reputable university. How can I hope to achieve such lofty goals with, at best, only a mediocre understanding of such a fundamental component of physics as calculus?

I'm sure by the time I get my B.S. I will feel more solid in my understanding of calculus... I guess I'm just looking for some encouragement. I can only imagine what tedious, strenuous, and symbol-ridden math will be involved in graduate level courses.

1. What is the difference between calculus and physics?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change, while physics is a natural science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions.

2. How is calculus used in physics?

Calculus is used in physics to describe and analyze the motion of objects, study the rates of change of physical quantities, and solve problems involving forces and energy.

3. What career opportunities are available for someone with a background in calculus and physics?

There are many career opportunities for individuals with a background in calculus and physics, including roles in engineering, research, data analysis, and teaching. Some specific careers in this field include aerospace engineer, data scientist, physicist, and college professor.

4. Is a degree in calculus and physics necessary for a career in these fields?

While a degree in calculus and physics is not always required for a career in these fields, it is highly recommended. These subjects provide a strong foundation for understanding and applying concepts in engineering, research, and data analysis.

5. What skills are important for a successful career in calculus and physics?

Some important skills for a successful career in calculus and physics include problem-solving, critical thinking, analytical skills, and a strong understanding of mathematical concepts. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are important for working on projects and collaborating with others in these fields.