Calculus Breakdown: Understanding Principle Assumptions & Limits

• Thread starter LogicalTime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the chain rule in the opposite direction is what allows us to integrate discontinuous functions. If a function is differentiable, it does not have to be smooth, but it does have to be continuous. If a function is not smooth, or does not have a continuous derivative, then the chain rule will not work.
LogicalTime
quick question, I was watching an MITOCW physics lecture and I want to know where a principle breaks down.

[tex]\int^t_0 \frac{dp}{dt} dt = \int^{p(t)}_{p(0)} dp [/tex]

how do I know such a thing is allowed? where does this break down? does it break down if p or t does not have property such as smoothness?

here is the little section of the lecture where I saw it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkuo6nZ6nZM#t=12m30s

I am never comfortable until I know what is being assumed and where something breaks. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well dp/dt has to exist for a start. p(t) probably needs to be bijective as well (monotonic will do).

This thing is the chain rule. (It's everywhere, look it up)
Or integration by substitution (I think there's a proof on Wikipedia that isn't too bad)

chain rule has this form:
092a91734fb9c50d36fba56732186ba2.png

since the forms are not exactly the same, I am concerned about subtleties.

perhaps p(t) has to be differentiable with respect to t, not just piecewise differentiable? otherwise dp/dt would not be defined for certain points?

[edit] Oh, let me think about that.
[edit again] Integration ignores isolated "points", heuristically (sets of zero measure? I don't know any measure theory). Piecewise is fine. It's basically the chain rule in the opposite direction.

meow
And let f=1 after you get that proof.
Also, try not to write
[tex]
\int^t_0 \frac{dp}{dt} dt
[/tex]
Because the 't' inside the integral is like a dummy variable. It's not a big deal usually though.

Integration is, intuitively, "more likely" to work than differentiation (you can integrate some discontinuous curves, for example...but there's no chance to differentiate on both sides of a discontinuity). As long as derivatives exist, we should be okay. Don't quote me on that though. Forgot all my analysis.

[edit] We can integrate over piecewise discontinuity just fine. (I hate to say it, but using the 'area under a curve' analogy, we can see there's no problem.[/edit]

Physical examples are unlikely to involve anything close to pathological functions.

yep I know integrals are quite robust

does not [tex]\frac{dp}{dt}[\tex] on its own imply that p(t) is smooth, or that the derivative is continuous since otherwise the limit could have 2 values at a particular time t (one limit coming from the right (+) and one coming from the left(-))

We have a chain rule for a differentials as well, [itex]dp=p'(t)dt[/itex]. For example if [itex]p=t^3[/itex] then [itex]dp=3t^2dt[/itex]. Furthermore with the integral given in the OP you know for sure that [itex]p'(t)[/itex] exist and if a function is differentiable it is of course smooth and continuous.

Oh, right.
Okay.
Well. Usually, yeah.

But p(t)= -t^2 for t<0 and t^2 for t>0 and p=0 at t=0 isn't smooth, is it?

When we move to physics though, we don't mind if dp/dt doesn't exist at some particular points.

If a function is differentiable, it doesn't have to be smooth, but it does have to be continuous.
A bunch of pathological functions involving sin(1/x) are going to be differentiable once, but not smooth.

You're right I was sloppy in my use of smooth. Functions are smooth if derivatives of any order exist, not just one. However his question, as I understood it, was how you go from the first integral to the second. If the first integral doesn't exist, because p'(t) does not exist then there is no point in continuing. The question only makes sense if [itex]p(t)[/itex] is differentiable in the first place.

Last edited:
exactly I am comfortable with where integrals exist. I am trying to explore where
[tex]\frac{dp}{dt} dt = dp [/tex]
breaks down. It seems the only way for us to break this is to make
[tex]\frac{dp}{dt}[/tex]
not exist. Do you think this is right or could it break some other way?

Are you aware that this is just the substitution rule for integrals?

Substitution rule:
[tex]
\int g(f(x))f'(x)dx=\int g(y)dy
[/tex]

with [itex] y=f(x) [/itex]

This works if f is differentiable with a continuous derivative, if g is continuous and if the composition [itex] g \circ f[/itex] exists.

LogicalTime said:
exactly I am comfortable with where integrals exist. I am trying to explore where
[tex]\frac{dp}{dt} dt = dp [/tex]
breaks down. It seems the only way for us to break this is to make
[tex]\frac{dp}{dt}[/tex]
not exist. Do you think this is right or could it break some other way?
The Lebesgue-Radon-Nikodym theorem goes into that. You need to know a bit of measure theory, treating the integrals of functions as measures.

Related to Calculus Breakdown: Understanding Principle Assumptions & Limits

1. What is calculus breakdown?

Calculus breakdown refers to the process of breaking down complex mathematical concepts and equations into smaller, more manageable parts in order to better understand and solve problems in calculus.

2. What are the principle assumptions in calculus?

The principle assumptions in calculus include the existence of limits, the continuity of functions, and the differentiability of functions. These assumptions are essential in understanding and applying calculus principles and solving problems.

3. How are limits used in calculus?

Limits are used in calculus to determine the behavior of a function as the input approaches a particular value. This allows for the calculation of instantaneous rates of change, which is crucial in many applications of calculus.

4. What are the different types of limits in calculus?

There are three main types of limits in calculus: one-sided limits, infinite limits, and limits at infinity. One-sided limits are used when the input is approaching a value from only one direction, while infinite limits are used when the output of a function approaches infinity. Limits at infinity are used when the input is approaching infinity.

5. How do principle assumptions and limits impact the accuracy of calculus calculations?

The principle assumptions and limits in calculus are crucial in ensuring the accuracy of calculations. Without these assumptions, many of the concepts and formulas in calculus would not hold true. Additionally, understanding and using limits correctly is essential in avoiding errors and accurately solving problems in calculus.