Calculus II - Improper Integral Problem

In summary, the integral ∫(0 to ∞) [dv/((1+v^2)(1+tan^-1(v))] can be evaluated by using the substitution u = 1 + arctan(v). This will change the bounds of the integral to 1 to ∞, which will result in the correct answer of ln(1 + ∏/2).
BaxterCorner

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral: ∫(0 to ∞) [dv/((1+v^2)(1+tan^-1(v))]

Homework Equations

U-substitution, taking limit to evaluate improper integrals

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/CjkRF
As you can see in the image, I try u-substitution and then take the integral. I end up with ln(0), though, because arctan(0) = 0. The correct answer is ln(1 + ∏/2), but I'm not sure how to get there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BaxterCorner said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral: ∫(0 to ∞) [dv/((1+v^2)(1+tan^-1(v))]

Homework Equations

U-substitution, taking limit to evaluate improper integrals

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/CjkRF
As you can see in the image, I try u-substitution and then take the integral. I end up with ln(0), though, because arctan(0) = 0. The correct answer is ln(1 + ∏/2), but I'm not sure how to get there.

With your substitution the denominator is ##1+u##, not just ##u##. It works either way, but I would suggest the substitution ##u=1+\arctan v## in the first place.

Sorry, I intended to write u = 1 + arctan(v), not u = arctan(v). The 1 goes to zero either way though, so I still have the same problem of getting ln(0).

Nevermind, I see what you're saying, that would change the bounds. Thanks!

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral in which one or both of the limits of integration is infinite or the function being integrated is not defined at one or more points in the interval of integration.

2. How do you evaluate an improper integral?

To evaluate an improper integral, you must first determine if it converges or diverges. If it converges, you can use one of several methods such as the comparison test, limit comparison test, or the integral test to find the value. If it diverges, you can use the limit comparison test or the p-series test to determine the type of divergence.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent improper integral?

A convergent improper integral has a finite value, meaning the area under the curve is finite. A divergent improper integral has an infinite value, meaning the area under the curve is infinite.

4. Can improper integrals be solved using substitution?

Yes, improper integrals can be solved using substitution if the limits of integration are finite and the function being integrated is continuous on the interval of integration. Otherwise, other methods such as the comparison test or the p-series test may need to be used.

5. What real-world applications use improper integrals?

Improper integrals have various real-world applications including finding the center of mass of an object, calculating the probability of events in statistics, and determining the total amount of a substance in a chemical reaction. They are also used in physics to calculate work and in engineering for optimization problems.