Calculus II Problem: Describe the region

In summary, the region that contains all planes passing through (4, 5, 6) that are parallel to <1, 2, 3> is the entire 3-dimensional space.
lizbeth

Homework Statement

Sorry, this should say "Calculus III problem".

Describe the region that contains all planes passing through (4, 5, 6) that are parallel to <1, 2, 3>.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot imagine how to answer this. I expect that there are multiple planes that could pass through a single point and be parallel to a vector, since the vector can move around in space. But what would that look like? Would the planes form a sphere as you move the vector around the point in a circle? Very confused by this question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How can a plane be said to be "parallel" to a vector?

lizbeth said:

Homework Statement

Describe the region that contains all planes passing through (4, 5, 6) that are parallel to <1, 2, 3>.

Homework Equations

I cannot imagine how to answer this. I expect that there are multiple planes that could pass through a single point and be parallel to a vector, since the vector can move around in space. But what would that look like? Would the planes form a sphere as you move the vector around the point in a circle? Very confused by this question.

I think it is confusing too. Think about the line through (4,5,6) with direction vector <1,2,3>. Now pass a plane through that line. Think of the line as a straight wire and the plane glued to it. Now if you grab that wire and rotate it around its own axis, that plane will swing around sweeping out all of 3 space. Maybe that's what is wanted.

Likes 1 person
OR - a plane is parallel to a vector if it's normal vector is parallel to it ... not happy with that either because that is just a plane and there is only one of them that goes through that point and "a plane" is not much of a description.
BUT maybe, by "description", then mean the equation of the plane?

I don't know if this is supposed to be a narrative description or an equation, either. I could not think how to find the equation of the plane given this information. I could find the equation of the line, but not the plane. Wouldn't I need a point outside the plane? Plus, it says "All Planes", not "The Plane". And "planes" is in bold in the homework as well.

Then you need to clear up the ambiguity.
You may have a previous example in your notes - otherwise you'll have to ask the person who set the problem of someone else.

As a final resort, you can provide each interpretation of the question with the answer.

Simon Bridge said:
OR - a plane is parallel to a vector if it's normal vector is parallel to it ... not happy with that either because that is just a plane and there is only one of them that goes through that point and "a plane" is not much of a description.
BUT maybe, by "description", then mean the equation of the plane?

I don't agree with that at all. A plane is parallel to a vector if the vector is perpendicular to the plane's normal.

lizbeth said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Imagine the vector <1,2,3> sticking out from the point (4,5,6); this will be part of the line ##(x,y,z) = (4,5,6) +t(1,2,3) = (4+t,5+t,6+t)##. Now put a plane through this line; rotate the plane about the line and through 360 degrees. That sweeps out the region you are asked for, and it is the entire 3-dimensional space, as LCKurtz has already indicated. (In other words, any point (x,y,z) is on some plane through (4,5,6) that is parallel to <1,2,3>.)

Likes 1 person
That is what I was thinking as well, Ray and LCKurtz. Thank you all so much for your help with this.

1. What is the purpose of describing a region in Calculus II?

Describing a region in Calculus II allows us to better understand the geometry and behavior of a given function or equation. This is important because it helps us to solve problems and make predictions about the behavior of a function.

2. How do you define a region in Calculus II?

A region in Calculus II is typically defined as a specific area on a graph or in a coordinate plane that is bounded by certain boundaries, such as curves or lines. These boundaries are often described by equations or inequalities.

3. What are some common techniques used to describe a region in Calculus II?

Some common techniques used to describe a region in Calculus II include finding the area or volume of the region, determining the boundaries of the region, and identifying any critical points or inflection points within the region.

4. How does describing a region relate to the concept of integration?

Describing a region is closely related to integration because integration is the process of finding the area or volume of a region. By describing the boundaries and behavior of a region, we can use integration to calculate its area or volume.

5. Can you provide an example of a region described in Calculus II?

Sure, an example of a region that can be described in Calculus II is the area under a curve, such as the region bounded by the x-axis and the curve y = x^2. This region can be described by its boundaries, the equation of the curve, and the techniques used to find its area, such as integration.