1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus II Problem: Describe the region

1. Sep 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sorry, this should say "Calculus III problem".

Describe the region that contains all planes passing through (4, 5, 6) that are parallel to <1, 2, 3>.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I cannot imagine how to answer this. I expect that there are multiple planes that could pass through a single point and be parallel to a vector, since the vector can move around in space. But what would that look like? Would the planes form a sphere as you move the vector around the point in a circle? Very confused by this question.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How can a plane be said to be "parallel" to a vector?

4. Sep 17, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it is confusing too. Think about the line through (4,5,6) with direction vector <1,2,3>. Now pass a plane through that line. Think of the line as a straight wire and the plane glued to it. Now if you grab that wire and rotate it around its own axis, that plane will swing around sweeping out all of 3 space. Maybe that's what is wanted.

5. Sep 18, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OR - a plane is parallel to a vector if it's normal vector is parallel to it ... not happy with that either because that is just a plane and there is only one of them that goes through that point and "a plane" is not much of a description.
    BUT maybe, by "description", then mean the equation of the plane?

6. Sep 18, 2014 #5
    I don't know if this is supposed to be a narrative description or an equation, either. I could not think how to find the equation of the plane given this information. I could find the equation of the line, but not the plane. Wouldn't I need a point outside the plane? Plus, it says "All Planes", not "The Plane". And "planes" is in bold in the homework as well.

7. Sep 18, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Then you need to clear up the ambiguity.
    You may have a previous example in your notes - otherwise you'll have to ask the person who set the problem of someone else.

As a final resort, you can provide each interpretation of the question with the answer.

8. Sep 18, 2014 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't agree with that at all. A plane is parallel to a vector if the vector is perpendicular to the plane's normal.

9. Sep 18, 2014 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Imagine the vector <1,2,3> sticking out from the point (4,5,6); this will be part of the line ##(x,y,z) = (4,5,6) +t(1,2,3) = (4+t,5+t,6+t)##. Now put a plane through this line; rotate the plane about the line and through 360 degrees. That sweeps out the region you are asked for, and it is the entire 3-dimensional space, as LCKurtz has already indicated. (In other words, any point (x,y,z) is on some plane through (4,5,6) that is parallel to <1,2,3>.)

10. Sep 18, 2014 #9
    That is what I was thinking as well, Ray and LCKurtz. Thank you all so much for your help with this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted