Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus in 20 Minutes

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1
    Hola f(r)iends! I came upon this fun little calculus 'review' and haven't seen it posted before, so let me know what you think:

Part 1

Part 2

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Mar 10, 2008 #3
    It seems like another person trying to live there life and pass there time by taking the same conepts and just mixing up the words and adding in more. Thats mainly what U-Tube is used for i hope he had fun recording that because mostly all the things that were said are things people can teach them selfs by knowing the basic foundation. but i do hope that his speaking brung him great joy in his life and passed his time till his nexted meal. in short, thats what i think sorry if it sounds negitive if you think my words that i typed are then you have a miss-perception of my intentions all so what do you think about people when they read things like this do you think they give my words a tone when they read it in there head? and do they read it in there own voice? do u?

5. Mar 10, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think you're negative, I just fail to see the point of your post.

6. Mar 11, 2008 #5
    LOL OMG! Best video ever :D

7. Mar 11, 2008 #6

DM

Most definitely not suited for beginners.

8. Mar 11, 2008 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I made it to about 1 minute... his voice is incredibly irritating!

9. Mar 11, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same here. I got a little further but just couldn't stand it after a while.

10. Mar 17, 2008 #9
    I don't really understand your post. Are you saying what he's doing is useless? He's a college professor of mathematics hired by a company to teach mathematics. The company chose to let some of the videos be on Youtube (and this is one that made it). He isn't passing his time by, the video is meant to teach the basics/foundation, and with all the money he made working for the company making the videos - I'm sure he's enjoying his next meal, too.

I found the video very informative. I agree his voice is a little high-pitched and...nerdy (is perhaps the word I'm looking for)? But it certainly isn't enough to stop watching the video for - it's really cool!

11. Mar 17, 2008 #10
    I thought it was pretty entertaining. He actually does cover most of the topics of a calculus course.

12. Mar 17, 2008 #11
    I noticed this a while back and recomended it to some students I know who are currently struggling with calc I. I think it is great for what it is; just a quick overview. It reminded me of several thing I forgot.

13. Apr 8, 2008 #12
    really good basic review i like it thanks

14. Apr 14, 2008 #13
    I should be sleeping now because it's 1:41 A.M., but I've been watching this video instead. I must say, it is pretty helpful and a good review. Thanks for posting this.

15. Jul 3, 2008 #14
    I love the guy, hey it must be crazy to cover a calculus course in twenty minutes

16. Aug 16, 2008 #15
    This guy is actually a really good professor, I'm familiar with some of his other stuff and he's definitely legit. My girlfriend had his videos (thinkwell) for her class a couple years ago, I thought they were good.

He also wrote a book called heart of mathematics which is pretty interesting, its a math course for a liberal arts requirement; it has more of an elementary survey of interesting math topics.

17. Aug 17, 2008 #16
    I lasted about 30 seconds. This presentation is much too hyper for me. For learning the basics of calculus nothing beats a good book on the subject.

18. Aug 17, 2008 #17
    Screech Is Alive

19. Sep 21, 2008 #18
    i enjoyed it!

20. Sep 28, 2008 #19
    Yes, it's actually good!!

21. Nov 24, 2008 #20
    Awesome resource! Thanks! It's a great video for ensuring that you have the material down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted