1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Calculus: One and Several Variables by Salas, Etgen, Hille

1. Strongly Recommend

33.3%
  2. Lightly Recommend

33.3%
  3. Lightly don't Recommend

33.3%
  4. Strongly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Feb 16, 2013 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #2
    This book is good in that the exercises clearly teach the section concepts in a progressive fashion. It is not so good in that the explanations of the material seem to aim to use as few words as possible, and rely on some VERY dense jargon to save paper.

A few extra words per sentence would make this a great book. It's a failing I find common to 90% of mathematics texts. Popular calc texts should be split into 3 seperate volumes, IMO. The explanations need to be fleshed out and accessible and understandable to students - not just math professors.

4. Feb 18, 2014 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

salas and hille was a classic, o do not remember the other guy.

5. Jul 31, 2014 #4
    Book isn't bad but isn't great either. Seems to straddle an unfortunate line in level of material between something like Apostol or Spivak and Stewart. Much better IMO to just sit down and work through Spivak etc. But it has an okay treatment of multivariate concepts and actually proves most of the theorems.

Although, looking back on it, I am shocked to say they didn't introduce the least upper bound property of R until chapter 11. Which is terrible...

6. Mar 18, 2015 #5
    Hi micromass, I just want to ask if Calculus by Salas is enough for theoretical physics undergraduates? I am curious because I want to do research in QFT in grad school and I'm thinking if my investment for Salas is enough.

7. Mar 29, 2015 #6
    Salas, Hille, Etgen's Calculus is okay but if you want to do QFT, you pretty much need to go beyond this text. I have used this book for my elementary calculus classes only.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted