Calculus: One and Several Variables by Salas, Etgen, Hille

In summary, "Calculus: One and Several Variables" by Saturnino L. Salas, Garret J. Etgen, and Einar Hille is a good book for learning section concepts in a progressive manner. However, the explanations of the material are often too brief and rely on dense jargon. The book may be more beneficial if it was split into three separate volumes and had more accessible explanations. It covers multivariate concepts and proves most theorems, but does not introduce the least upper bound property of R until chapter 11. It may not be enough for theoretical physics undergraduates looking to do research in QFT, and they may need to go beyond this text.

For those who have used this book

• Total voters
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This book is good in that the exercises clearly teach the section concepts in a progressive fashion. It is not so good in that the explanations of the material seem to aim to use as few words as possible, and rely on some VERY dense jargon to save paper.

A few extra words per sentence would make this a great book. It's a failing I find common to 90% of mathematics texts. Popular calc texts should be split into 3 separate volumes, IMO. The explanations need to be fleshed out and accessible and understandable to students - not just math professors.

salas and hille was a classic, o do not remember the other guy.

Book isn't bad but isn't great either. Seems to straddle an unfortunate line in level of material between something like Apostol or Spivak and Stewart. Much better IMO to just sit down and work through Spivak etc. But it has an okay treatment of multivariate concepts and actually proves most of the theorems.

Although, looking back on it, I am shocked to say they didn't introduce the least upper bound property of R until chapter 11. Which is terrible...

Hi micromass, I just want to ask if Calculus by Salas is enough for theoretical physics undergraduates? I am curious because I want to do research in QFT in grad school and I'm thinking if my investment for Salas is enough.

shinobi20 said:
Hi micromass, I just want to ask if Calculus by Salas is enough for theoretical physics undergraduates? I am curious because I want to do research in QFT in grad school and I'm thinking if my investment for Salas is enough.
Salas, Hille, Etgen's Calculus is okay but if you want to do QFT, you pretty much need to go beyond this text. I have used this book for my elementary calculus classes only.

Related to Calculus: One and Several Variables by Salas, Etgen, Hille

1. What is the main focus of "Calculus: One and Several Variables"?

The main focus of "Calculus: One and Several Variables" is to provide a comprehensive introduction to Calculus, specifically in the areas of single variable and multivariable functions.

2. Who are the authors of "Calculus: One and Several Variables"?

The authors of "Calculus: One and Several Variables" are Saturnino L. Salas, Einar Hille, and Garret J. Etgen. They are all highly respected mathematicians and educators with extensive experience in teaching Calculus.

3. Is this book suitable for beginners in Calculus?

Yes, "Calculus: One and Several Variables" is suitable for beginners in Calculus. The book starts with the basic concepts and gradually builds up to more advanced topics, making it accessible for students with no prior knowledge of Calculus.

4. What makes "Calculus: One and Several Variables" different from other Calculus textbooks?

One of the main differences of "Calculus: One and Several Variables" is its emphasis on conceptual understanding and problem-solving techniques. The book also incorporates real-world applications and examples to help students see the practical relevance of Calculus.

5. Are there any resources available to supplement the book?

Yes, there are resources available to supplement "Calculus: One and Several Variables". These include online resources such as interactive quizzes, practice problems, and video lectures, as well as a student solutions manual for selected exercises in the book.