Calculus: Single and Multivariable by Hughes-Hallett, et al.

In summary, some of the authors contribute to this book, but it is not a good book. It is long and includes many topics that are not essential for calculus.

For those who have used this book

• Strongly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
  • Author: Deborah Hughes-Hallett, Andrew M. Gleason, William G. McCallum, Daniel E. Flath, Patti Frazer Lock, Thomas W. Tucker, David O. Lomen, David Lovelock, David Mumford, Brad G. Osgood, Douglas Quinney, Karen Rhea, Jeff Tecosky-Feldman
  • Title: Calculus: Single and Multivariable
  • Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/047147245X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Physics news on Phys.org
I will be using this book starting in the fall, so I am curious as to how others view the book in regards to being a good calculus book. I will answer this question myself after I've examined the book, but I would like to see if this is a good book to teach someone looking for most likely applied physics phd or nuclear physics phd, we'll see where it goes. Maybe even an engineering degree.

Edit: I am will be attending Michigan Technological University. If anyone else has attended MTU and has used this book, I would like to know how many of the Calculus classes use this book? Calc I, II, and even III? Thank you.

I do not own this book and only looked briefly at it years ago, without being impressed. While we wait for a more informed opinion from someone who has actually studied it, I will make a snarky remark stimulated just now by perusing the impressive list of authors, several of whom are friends of mine whom I highly respect.

Namely, it reminds me of one of those mediocre movies that have about 8 or 9 good actors, but for which nobody bothered to hire a good script writer. I.e. how could a book claiming contributions from this large a pool of outstanding talent not be better than it is? It makes me wonder what the process was used to combine all those contributions of whatever kind into one book?

Sometimes when good mathematicians contribute to an elementary book, they let someone less qualified tell them how it should be done. This seems to have happened in some of the 1960's experimental SMSG books for example, where high school teachers sometimes edited the work of research mathematicians.

Ok I just used the amazon link to read the first few lines and already, in section 1.1, on functions, the writing is so depressingly poor, in clarity, precision, and usage, that I am unable to punish myself to read any further. I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that the people I know on that author list did not write this stuff.

And its ridiculously long and comprehensive so that a poor student wanting only maybe one variable calculus gets charged also for chapters on differential equations, several variable integrals, vector analysis, etc etc, ... and it's $192 new! Now I'm getting upset. I wouldn't give $2. for this piece of junk.

Check out some of the amazon reviews for yourself, they look pretty negative to me:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/047147245X/?tag=pfamazon01-20I would recommend an old edition of Thomas, maybe 1950'ish. for an engineer wanting to understand calculus and how to use it. maybe #10 on this list:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=george+b+thomas&tn=calculus\here are some more recommended books;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201531747/?tag=pfamazon01-20https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UKQDTC/?tag=pfamazon01-20avoid books that combine the names weir and hass with that of thomas, especially ones published after 2006, when Thomas had actually died.

Last edited by a moderator:
This book is not good. Certainly not worth 1.92$ much less 192$. One thing I will say is it tries to be different. If you are going to write a bad calculus books at least do not just copy the other bad books. I was quite upset that earlier editions omit l'Hôpital's rule, since then I have seen so many misapplications that I agree with omitting it. Too bad it is back. Some of the exercises are conceptual which is nice. The multivariable part is particularly bad which is usual in calculus books. Common functions like sec x and sinh x are not used. Logically there is no reason to use them, but students should see them so they recognize them later and expression containing them look nicer. Don't buy it if you do not have to. Read another book as well, good advice even if the first book is good.

I highly recommend the textbook "Calculus: Single and Multivariable" by Hughes-Hallett et al. This comprehensive book covers both single and multivariable calculus, making it a valuable resource for students and researchers in various fields of science. The authors, who are all renowned mathematicians, have provided clear and concise explanations of key concepts and techniques in calculus, making it accessible to readers with varying levels of mathematical background.

In addition to its thorough coverage of fundamental calculus principles, the book also includes numerous real-world applications and examples, which demonstrate the relevance and practicality of calculus in various scientific disciplines. This approach not only helps students understand the material better but also highlights the interdisciplinary nature of calculus.

The textbook also stands out for its use of technology, with interactive digital resources and online tools available for students to enhance their learning experience. This integration of technology aligns with the current trend in scientific research and education, making the book a valuable tool for modern scientists.

Overall, "Calculus: Single and Multivariable" is an excellent resource for anyone looking to gain a deeper understanding of calculus and its applications in science. Its clear explanations, real-world examples, and use of technology make it a valuable addition to any scientist's library. I highly recommend this textbook to students, researchers, and educators in the scientific community.

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is used to analyze and solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the slope of a curve or the area under a curve.

What is the difference between single and multivariable calculus?

Single variable calculus deals with functions of a single variable, typically denoted by x. It involves finding derivatives and integrals of these functions. Multivariable calculus, on the other hand, deals with functions of multiple variables, such as x and y. It involves finding partial derivatives and multiple integrals of these functions.

What are some real-world applications of calculus?

Calculus has numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their future behavior.

Do I need to have a strong math background to learn calculus?

While a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of these subjects to learn calculus. The concepts in calculus build upon each other, so it is important to have a solid understanding of each topic as you progress.

What are some resources to help me learn calculus?

Aside from textbooks, there are many online resources available to help you learn calculus, such as video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive simulations. It is also helpful to work through problems and practice regularly to reinforce your understanding of the concepts.

Back