Planning a California Road Trip - Advice Needed

• News
  • Thread starter EL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    california
In summary, people who knows California would recommend planning for at least two weeks. It is a beautiful ride and you see a lot of interesting things.
EL
Science Advisor
I'm currently planning to take two or three weeks of vacation driving around in California this summer (starting in mid-August). My priorities at the moment are San Fransisco, Highway 1, LA/San Diego, and a detour to Vegas and Grand Canyon.
I've also been thinking of a short (maximum one night stay) trip to Mexico, as well as visiting Yosemite and Death Valley, but I'm not sure wheter I will have enough time for this?
People who knows California, how much do you think is reasonable to plan for without having to sit in the car the entire days?
If you have any further tips about what could be worth seeing, or something else you think I should be aware of, I'd be glad to hear about it!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm an Amtrak fan, myself. It's a beautiful ride down the coast between L.A. and San Diego. No traffic, no stress. You see lots of surfers and sometimes dolphins, and there are neat little places in between like San Juan Capistrano. The trip is about 2 hrs 45 mins via train.

Hey EL, I've been to Las Vegas, Los Angeles and San Francisco, so i can't comment on San Diego. I loved San Francisco's Chinatown, and the lombard street has great view. There are a lot of stuff to do there, just move around, that's how i found some of them.

Los Angeles is great, if you like nocturnal night activities like bars, disco, etc... There are some celebrities events, you might want to check out. I remember when i was there i saw Anna Kournikova, Paula Abdul and more, near the Roosevelt Hotel, they were on the American Award Show or something like that. I'm not a big fan of them, but the crowds reaction is amazing.

Las Vegas is Las Vegas, i loved it. You can't go wrong here, just stay near (and go inside) Caesar's Palace, Luxor, Wynn Hotel, Venettian, Bellagio, ... In my opinion those are the main attractions, i spent a whole week, drinkin', playin' (small bets OF COURSE), and partyin'. It was a good experience, it truly is the city that never sleeps.

Well, whatever you end up doing at these places, i hope you have a lot of fun!.

Related to Planning a California Road Trip - Advice Needed

1. What is the best time of year to plan a California road trip?

The best time to plan a California road trip is during the spring or fall seasons. The weather is mild and pleasant, and there are fewer crowds compared to the busy summer months. However, if you want to visit popular tourist destinations such as Disneyland or Yosemite National Park, it is best to plan your trip during the off-season to avoid large crowds.

2. How long should I plan for a California road trip?

The length of a California road trip depends on your personal preferences and the places you want to visit. If you want to cover the entire state, you will need at least 3-4 weeks. However, if you have a limited time frame, you can plan a shorter trip focusing on specific regions of the state. It is important to have a flexible itinerary to account for unexpected delays or detours.

3. What are some must-see destinations on a California road trip?

Some popular must-see destinations on a California road trip include Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Yosemite National Park, Napa Valley, and Big Sur. However, there are many hidden gems and lesser-known destinations that are worth exploring, so it is important to do some research and plan accordingly.

4. How much should I budget for a California road trip?

The budget for a California road trip can vary greatly depending on your travel style and the length of your trip. On average, a 2-week road trip can cost anywhere between $1500-$3000, including accommodation, food, gas, and activities. It is important to budget for unexpected expenses and have some extra funds in case of emergencies.

5. What are some tips for planning a smooth California road trip?

Some tips for planning a smooth California road trip include researching and planning your route, booking accommodation and activities in advance, having a flexible itinerary, packing appropriately for the weather and activities, and budgeting wisely. It is also important to have a reliable vehicle and to take breaks and rest stops along the way to avoid fatigue.