Can 600 Tons of Force Be Applied with Two 300 Ton Cylinders?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
hmc
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi guys I have a question I need answered. I have a small machine shop and I need to build a press that will apply 600 tons of force to an object. Can I have one 300 ton cylinder on each end of the object? Or is this tonnage not additive.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So the force applied to a cylinder placed between two 300 ton cylinders is 300 tons. Correct?
 
Two presses, acting against each other wouldn't produce any more force than a single press, acting against an 'immoveable object'.
The way to get twice the force would be to use the two presses side by side and have them press against (the side of) a beam, in the same direction. The beam would then combine the forces acting on your workpiece, placed in the middle of (the other side of) the beam.