Can a electron gun attract/repel permanent magnet?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for an electron beam to affect a magnet, specifically in a CRT (cathode ray tube) and the possibility of removing the electron gun from the device. The consensus is that the electron beam does not have enough mass to significantly affect the magnet, and the coils in the CRT are used to deflect the beam rather than create it. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of attraction and repulsion between entities, even on an infinitesimal scale.
dan020350
Can it do such a thing or are the particles too small ? If it is possible can I take the electron gun out my cry is you AA batteries?

Physics news on Phys.org
dan020350 said:
Can it do such a thing or are the particles too small ? If it is possible can I take the electron gun out my cry is you AA batteries?

Er... say that again? Especially the "... take the electron gun out my cry is you AA batteries..."

An electron beam doesn't have as much "mass" or weight as a typical magnet. If anything, the electron beam is the one that gets affected by the magnet, with very little effect on the magnet due to the electron beam.

So to answer your question: No.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Er... say that again? Especially the "... take the electron gun out my cry is you AA batteries..."

An electron beam doesn't have as much "mass" or weight as a typical magnet. If anything, the electron beam is the one that gets affected by the magnet, with very little effect on the magnet due to the electron beam.

So to answer your question: No.

Zz.
Sry. It is CRT. What about the toroid? Where the coils are wrap around a circle,!in the middle of the donut isn't that is how the electron beam begins? It repels out the magnet?

But that's for your reponse.

The magnet won't feel a thing.
The magnet as a whole is orders upon orders of magnitudes more massive than the electron.

dan020350 said:

I've built a variety of photo-electron guns; the steering system used magnets to deflect the beam; the magnets didn't move when the beam was switched on and off.

If you had a really strong beam - such as the beam from a quasar - then it would be a different story.

You can calculate the magnetic field for any current:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magcur.html

Then calculate the interaction with the magnet's magnetic field ... that provides the force:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_between_magnets

Then use Newton's second law of motion to determine the acceleration applied to the mass of the magnet. If it is enough to overcome the force of gravity - then it will lift the magnet.

If you solve the general problem for a simple geometry you can then calculate what is required to move a given magnet.

Thank you

dan020350 said:
Sry. It is CRT. What about the toroid? Where the coils are wrap around a circle,!in the middle of the donut isn't that is how the electron beam begins? It repels out the magnet?

But that's for your reponse.

No, the electron beam begins way back at the gun at the end of the tube where all the connection pins are
The coils that are placed further up the neck of the tube are used to deflect the electron beam so that it scans across the face of the tube as required

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+a+crt+works

Dave

Thank you my brothers

On an infinitesimal scale, I would think that the electron beam DOES effect the the magnet. I base this on the fact that attraction and repulsion occur to mutual entities. As the magnet attracts or repels the beam, the force appears to both. the Earth attracts the feather and vice versa. Imperceptibly small, immeasurably so, but it must be so.

1. Can a permanent magnet be attracted to an electron gun?

The short answer is no. A permanent magnet is made up of tiny magnetic domains, which are already aligned and have a fixed magnetic field. The magnetic field produced by an electron gun is not strong enough to overcome the fixed magnetic field of a permanent magnet and attract it.

2. Can a permanent magnet be repelled by an electron gun?

Yes, it is possible for a permanent magnet to be repelled by an electron gun. This can occur if the magnetic field produced by the electron gun is strong enough to overcome the fixed magnetic field of the permanent magnet, causing them to repel each other.

3. How does an electron gun produce a magnetic field?

An electron gun produces a magnetic field by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. This creates a magnetic field that can interact with other magnetic fields, such as those produced by permanent magnets.

4. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field produced by an electron gun?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by an electron gun is affected by the amount of current passing through the coil, the number of turns in the coil, and the material of the coil. A larger current and more turns in the coil will result in a stronger magnetic field.

5. Is there a limit to how strong the magnetic field of an electron gun can be?

Yes, there is a limit to how strong the magnetic field of an electron gun can be. This limit is determined by the materials used to create the coil and the maximum current that can be passed through it without causing damage. Going beyond this limit can result in the coil overheating and potentially causing damage to the electron gun.