Can a force generate rotation with moment arm=0 ?

In summary: As long as the center of mass is between the two planets, they will experience a net force due to their mutual gravity.
jonjacson
I wait for your thoughts on this topic... and maybe then I will give you a small surprise.

edit:

Ok, there was a misconception on my side that I want to clarify changing the original title by this one:

If there are two planets, rotating one around the other, and only gravity is acting. Is it possible that between them the net force is not acting between their centers?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I'll bite with the expected answer: no, since you need a torque to change the angular momentum and you need a moment arm to have a torque.

Likes jonjacson
pixel said:
Okay, I'll bite with the expected answer: no, since you need a torque to change the angular momentum and you need a moment arm to have a torque.

Ok, and what if I say to you that the two systems are Earth-Moon?

jonjacson said:
Ok, and what if I say to you that the two systems are Earth-Moon?
I'd say you need to clarify what you're talking about.

Likes jonjacson
Drakkith said:
I'd say you need to clarify what you're talking about.

Done!

Im not sure i understand what you mean, but if Earth and moon had arm=0 i don't think we would be here writing on the forum right now

jonjacson said:
If there are two planets, rotating one around the other, and only gravity is acting. Is it possible that between them the net force is not acting between their centers?

As far as I know, a planet or moon (or other body) whose mass is not distributed evenly will not have the net force acting through the center of its volume. This can (and does) result in a torque.

Drakkith said:
As far as I know, a planet or moon (or other body) whose mass is not distributed evenly will not have the net force acting through the center of its volume. This can (and does) result in a torque.

Well I was reading about tidal friction, a topic I found really interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treatise_on_Natural_Philosophy#cite_note-4

It is in volume 1, article 276, a nice read folks!

jonjacson said:
If there are two planets, rotating one around the other,

Small point but.. One planet doesn't orbit around the other. They both orbit around the combined centre of mass.

http://astro.unl.edu/naap/esp/centerofmass.html

Likes jonjacson

1. Can a force generate rotation with moment arm=0?

According to the principles of physics, a force requires a distance or moment arm to generate rotation. Therefore, a force with a moment arm of 0 would not be able to generate rotation.

2. How does the moment arm of a force affect rotation?

The moment arm of a force is the perpendicular distance from the force's line of action to the axis of rotation. A larger moment arm will result in a greater torque and therefore a greater amount of rotation.

3. Is it possible to have a moment arm of 0 in a real-world scenario?

No, in a real-world scenario, there will always be some distance between the force and the axis of rotation, even if it is very small. This distance is necessary for the force to generate rotation.

4. Can a force with a moment arm of 0 still have an effect on an object?

Yes, even though the force may not be able to generate rotation, it can still have other effects on the object, such as causing it to move or change its shape.

5. How can we increase the moment arm of a force to generate more rotation?

The moment arm of a force can be increased by increasing the distance between the force and the axis of rotation. This can be achieved by changing the angle at which the force is applied or by extending the length of the lever arm.