Can a force generate rotation with moment arm=0 ?

• B
  • Thread starter jonjacson
  • Start date
I wait for your thoughts on this topic... and maybe then I will give you a small surprise.

edit:

Ok, there was a misconception on my side that I want to clarify changing the original title by this one:

If there are two planets, rotating one around the other, and only gravity is acting. Is it possible that between them the net force is not acting between their centers?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Okay, I'll bite with the expected answer: no, since you need a torque to change the angular momentum and you need a moment arm to have a torque.

Likes jonjacson
Okay, I'll bite with the expected answer: no, since you need a torque to change the angular momentum and you need a moment arm to have a torque.
Ok, and what if I say to you that the two systems are Earth-Moon?

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Ok, and what if I say to you that the two systems are Earth-Moon?
I'd say you need to clarify what you're talking about.

Likes jonjacson
Im not sure i understand what you mean, but if earth and moon had arm=0 i dont think we would be here writing on the forum right now

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
If there are two planets, rotating one around the other, and only gravity is acting. Is it possible that between them the net force is not acting between their centers?
As far as I know, a planet or moon (or other body) whose mass is not distributed evenly will not have the net force acting through the center of its volume. This can (and does) result in a torque.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Likes jonjacson