Can a hair dryer burn? Thermodynamic considerations...

• Thread starter Merlin05
  • Start date
Hi all,
I actually work in physics (quantum physics) but my thermodynamics knowledge is a bit lacking these days. The following problem has had me puzzled for quite a long time.

Basically, if I point the hot air coming out of a hairdryer at a target, will that target's temperature ever go higher than the temperature of the hot air? I recall reading somewhere that hairdryers product air at 60 degrees C, which is just below the threshold that can cause burning.

Thanks.

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Burning of the skin, not bursting into flames, is what they probably mean.

Nidum

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Free flowing air probably stays within temperature limits most of the time . Problem with all heat gun devices is that if exit duct is partially blocked then temperature can rise considerably . Modern equipment is usually fitted with an over temperature trip out device or full thermostatic control for safety .

Free flowing air probably stays within temperature limits most of the time . Problem with all heat gun devices is that if exit duct is partially blocked then temperature can rise considerably . Modern equipment is usually fitted with an over temperature trip out device or full thermostatic control for safety .
Thanks for the reply.
To be clear, I'm talking about the hairdryer burning the skin, not the dryer bursting into flames. In fact I just gave the hairdryer as an example, I'm really interested in understanding the physics here: i.e. if I blow air at 60 degrees C at a wall can that wall's temperature exceed 60 degrees?

If that were possible, why not just blow air at room temperature and expect things to warm up?

If that were possible, why not just blow air at room temperature and expect things to warm up?
Thanks for that answer!

Nidum

Science Advisor
Gold Member
It is possible to build machines which use a large flow of cold air to produce a small flow of hot air .

Last edited: