Can a hair dryer heat an object hotter than its air temperature?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Merlin05
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hair Thermodynamic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
Merlin05
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi all,
I actually work in physics (quantum physics) but my thermodynamics knowledge is a bit lacking these days. The following problem has had me puzzled for quite a long time.

Basically, if I point the hot air coming out of a hairdryer at a target, will that target's temperature ever go higher than the temperature of the hot air? I recall reading somewhere that hairdryers product air at 60 degrees C, which is just below the threshold that can cause burning.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Burning of the skin, not bursting into flames, is what they probably mean.
 
Free flowing air probably stays within temperature limits most of the time . Problem with all heat gun devices is that if exit duct is partially blocked then temperature can rise considerably . Modern equipment is usually fitted with an over temperature trip out device or full thermostatic control for safety .
 
Nidum said:
Free flowing air probably stays within temperature limits most of the time . Problem with all heat gun devices is that if exit duct is partially blocked then temperature can rise considerably . Modern equipment is usually fitted with an over temperature trip out device or full thermostatic control for safety .
Thanks for the reply.
To be clear, I'm talking about the hairdryer burning the skin, not the dryer bursting into flames. In fact I just gave the hairdryer as an example, I'm really interested in understanding the physics here: i.e. if I blow air at 60 degrees C at a wall can that wall's temperature exceed 60 degrees?
 
If that were possible, why not just blow air at room temperature and expect things to warm up?
 
nasu said:
If that were possible, why not just blow air at room temperature and expect things to warm up?
Thanks for that answer!
 
It is possible to build machines which use a large flow of cold air to produce a small flow of hot air .
 
Last edited: