Can a High Physics GPA Offset a Low Overall GPA for PhD Programs?

In summary, the individual has a low GPA of 2.5 in their accounting degree, but is now pursuing a Physics degree with a 4.0 GPA in their last two semesters. However, their adviser has informed them that even with straight A's, their overall GPA will not reach a 3.0 due to previous fails. They are wondering how likely it is for them to be accepted into a good PhD program with a low overall GPA but a good GPA in Physics and math. They express a passion for physics and attribute their low grades in their first degree to being forced to take accounting. They are seeking guidance and advice on their situation.
smusab
I have a degree in accounting with a low GPA of 2.5, but now i am getting a Physics degree and have 2 semesters left and my GPA in my physics classes is 4.0. I have gotten all A's.
However, after talking to my my adviser and we figured out that even if I keep getting straight A's my GPA won't even reach a 3.0. I got two F's first time around.
So, my question is how likely is it that I would get accepted in a good ph.d program with an extremely low over all GPA but a good Physics and math GPA.
I love physics, the only reason i feel like i got bad grades in my first degree around is because i had no choice but to take accounting first time around for multitude of reasons but now I've realized I want to do physics.
Anyway, any help or guidance or view points would be helpful.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is retaking the courses you failed an option?

Related to Can a High Physics GPA Offset a Low Overall GPA for PhD Programs?

What is a second degree in physics?

A second degree in physics refers to obtaining a Bachelor's degree in physics after already completing a Bachelor's degree in a different subject. This is also known as a "double major" or "second major."

Why would someone pursue a second degree in physics?

There are a variety of reasons why someone might pursue a second degree in physics. Some common reasons include a passion for the subject, a desire for a career change, or the belief that a background in physics will enhance job prospects in their chosen field.

What are the benefits of having a second degree in physics?

Having a second degree in physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities, including research, teaching, and various roles in industries such as engineering, technology, and finance. Additionally, a background in physics can also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are valuable in any field.

What are the challenges of pursuing a second degree in physics?

Pursuing a second degree in physics can be challenging as it requires a significant time commitment, dedication, and a strong foundation in mathematics and science. It may also require taking additional courses to fulfill the requirements for the degree, as well as balancing coursework with other responsibilities.

Can I pursue a second degree in physics if I have no prior background in the subject?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a second degree in physics even if you have no prior background in the subject. However, it may require taking prerequisite courses or completing a foundation year to build a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles in physics before starting the degree program.