Can a Limit Converging to the Square Root of x be Proven from Given Statements?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
3102
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have given the statements: ##a_{n}^2 \ge x## , ##a_{n+1} \le a_{n}## , ##x > 0## and ##\inf a_{n} > 0 ##. How to prove the following: ##\lim_{n \to \infty}a_{n}=\sqrt{x}##

Homework Equations


##a_{n}^2 \ge x## , ##a_{n+1} \le a_{n}## , ##x > 0## and ##\inf a_{n} > 0 ##
##\lim_{n \to \infty}a_{n}=\sqrt{x}##

The Attempt at a Solution


I have come so far: $$a_{n}\ge a_{n+1} \ge \sqrt{x}$$ How shall I continue?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
3102 said:

Homework Statement


I have given the statements: ##a_{n}^2 \ge x## , ##a_{n+1} \le a_{n}## , ##x > 0## and ##\inf a_{n} > 0 ##. How to prove the following: ##\lim_{n \to \infty}a_{n}=\sqrt{x}##

Homework Equations


##a_{n}^2 \ge x## , ##a_{n+1} \le a_{n}## , ##x > 0## and ##\inf a_{n} > 0 ##
##\lim_{n \to \infty}a_{n}=\sqrt{x}##

The Attempt at a Solution


I have come so far: $$a_{n}\ge a_{n+1} \ge \sqrt{x}$$ How shall I continue?

Are you sure that's the problem? There's not enough information there to show that the limit is ##\sqrt{x}##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 3102
You can't prove this, it is not true!

For example, a decreasing sequence that converges to [itex]\sqrt{x+ 1}[/itex] will satisfy all the hypotheses of your "theorem".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 3102