Can a Matrix be Written as a Linear Combination of Another Matrix's Columns?

In summary, we have proven that the columns of the matrix A are linear combinations of the columns of E, when A is written as EP. This can be seen by examining the right hand side of the equation and writing out the first column as a linear combination of the columns of E. This helps us better understand the relationship between the two matrices.
brunette15
So i have the following:
[a b; c d] = [e f ; g h] * [p q ; r s]

I have to show that the if the original matrices are written as A = EP then the columns of A are linear combinations of E.

I was able to prove [a;c] = p[e;g] + r[f;h] and the same for [b;d] but i don't know where to go from here :/

Any help would really be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
brunette15 said:
So i have the following:
[a b; c d] = [e f ; g h] * [p q ; r s]

I have to show that the if the original matrices are written as A = EP then the columns of A are linear combinations of E.

I was able to prove [a;c] = p[e;g] + r[f;h] and the same for [b;d] but i don't know where to go from here :/

Any help would really be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Hi again! (Wave)

Let's write out the right hand side:
$$\begin{pmatrix}e&f \\ g&h\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}p&q \\ r&s\end{pmatrix}
=\begin{pmatrix}ep+fr&eq+fs \\ gp+hr&gq+hs\end{pmatrix}
$$
Taking a look at the first column, we can write it as:
$$p\begin{pmatrix}e \\ g\end{pmatrix} + r\begin{pmatrix}f \\ h\end{pmatrix}
$$
This is a linear combination of the columns of E! (Happy)

I like Serena said:
Hi again! (Wave)

Let's write out the right hand side:
$$\begin{pmatrix}e&f \\ g&h\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}p&q \\ r&s\end{pmatrix}
=\begin{pmatrix}ep+fr&eq+fs \\ gp+hr&gq+hs\end{pmatrix}
$$
Taking a look at the first column, we can write it as:
$$p\begin{pmatrix}e \\ g\end{pmatrix} + r\begin{pmatrix}f \\ h\end{pmatrix}
$$
This is a linear combination of the columns of E! (Happy)

Thankyou so much!

1. What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical expression that involves multiplying a set of numbers by different constants and then adding them together. It is used to represent a relationship between two or more variables.

2. What is a linear combinations proof?

A linear combinations proof is a method used in linear algebra to show that a given vector can be written as a linear combination of other vectors. This proof involves finding coefficients that when multiplied by the vectors, will result in the given vector.

3. Why is linear combinations proof important?

Linear combinations proof is important because it allows us to express a vector in terms of other vectors, which can help us understand its relationship to other vectors. It is also used in many mathematical and scientific fields, such as physics and engineering.

4. What are some key steps in a linear combinations proof?

The key steps in a linear combinations proof include identifying the given vector, determining the vectors that will be used to create the linear combination, finding the coefficients that satisfy the equation, and verifying that the given vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the chosen vectors.

5. Can linear combinations proof be applied to vectors in any dimension?

Yes, linear combinations proof can be applied to vectors in any dimension. The process of finding the coefficients may become more complex as the dimension increases, but the underlying concept remains the same.