Can a plastic container break from having too much water

In summary, the bowing may be related to the weight of the water and/or the water pump being attached to the container. Building a wooden box around the container may help to prevent it from breaking.
Tylercc
I have a plastic container holding about 30 gallons of water, and it is bowing. Do I need to be concerned about it breaking?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. It depends on a lot of variables: density and dimensions of the container, which sort of plastic it is, age, shape, location (UV radiation), and probably some more. So in general, yes is the only answer possible.

So it is inside, out of the way of uv radiation, it is rectangular, brand new, 28-3/4" x 21" x 18" h. Would building a wooden box around the container preventing it from bowing reduce the likely hood of it breaking? Is there anything else I can do to prevent it from breaking?

Tylercc said:
So it is inside, out of the way of uv radiation, it is rectangular, brand new, 28-3/4" x 21" x 18" h. Would building a wooden box around the container preventing it from bowing reduce the likely hood of it breaking? Is there anything else I can do to prevent it from breaking?
What is the container usually used for? It's hard to believe that it's meant to hold a liquid, and is bowing under its normal load...

I don't know if it was meant to hold liquid, I am using it as a extra water storage container for my evaporative cooler.

Tylercc said:
I don't know if it was meant to hold liquid, I am using it as a extra water storage container for my evaporative cooler.
Can you post a picture? And yes, building a supporting box around it should minimize the possibility of it rupturing.

IMG_0934.JPG
IMG_0933.JPG

If this is of the same consistency as those boxes they sell here in hardware stores, I wouldn't trust them. They are likely to split somewhere, bent or not.

so it sounds like if I am considering using this over a few summers I should just buy a real water storage tank?

Likes berkeman
Absolutely. Given those dimensions, you have something like 350 pounds of water in it. I doubt it was intended to hold this much.

Those blue plastic barrels are pretty rugged and affordable.

That container is not made for holding water. I have seem these used as sump for aquariums and they do occasionally fail.
A container built for holding water would have thicker walls, possibly have some cross braces, and/or be circular.

You have a water pump in there. If you had it hooked up to a float switch, you could use a smaller container (requiring less strength to hold the water; easier to find) to accumulate water until the switch turned on the pump. The pump would then pump the water away.

1. Can a plastic container break from having too much water?

Yes, a plastic container can break from having too much water. This is because plastic containers have a limit to how much weight or pressure they can hold before breaking. When filled with too much water, the weight and pressure can exceed this limit and cause the container to break.

2. What factors contribute to a plastic container breaking from too much water?

Some factors that can contribute to a plastic container breaking from too much water include the type and quality of plastic used, the thickness and strength of the container, and the shape and design of the container. Additionally, the temperature and environment in which the container is stored can also play a role.

3. Is there a specific amount of water that can cause a plastic container to break?

There is no specific amount of water that will cause a plastic container to break. It depends on the factors mentioned earlier, such as the type and quality of plastic used. Some containers may be able to hold more water than others without breaking.

4. Can a plastic container be made to hold more water without breaking?

Yes, plastic containers can be designed and manufactured to hold more water without breaking. This can be achieved by using stronger and thicker plastic materials, as well as designing the container with a shape that can distribute the weight and pressure of the water evenly.

5. Are there any precautions I can take to prevent a plastic container from breaking due to too much water?

To prevent a plastic container from breaking due to too much water, you can avoid overfilling the container and make sure to use it within the recommended weight and pressure limits. It is also important to store the container in a cool and stable environment, and to handle it with care to avoid any damage that can weaken its structure.