Could a Potted Venus Flytrap be Deadly?

• Thread starter Lelluriennian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plant
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential outcome of throwing a potted venus flytrap out of a third-floor apartment window and hitting a person below. The weight and speed of the plant, as well as the person's strength, are taken into consideration. There is a possibility that the person could die or at least be seriously injured. The impact also depends on the height of the apartment and the velocity of the plant, which could potentially be around 20 m/s.
Lelluriennian
First off, this is not a homework question. But I am not a scientist, so I understand very little about physics. I am an author and currently writing a short story in which the main character throws (not drops) a potted venus flytrap out of her third-floor apartment window and hits a guy in the head as he is crossing the street toward her building. After looking into venus flytraps, it seems that the general pot size would be about a 4" diameter for a medium-sized plant. I don't know how much a 4'' terracotta pot filled with a peat moss/sand soil mixture would weigh.
I'm wondering if the victim would die or just have a really sore head and maybe need stitches.
Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It also depends on the speed at which she throws it, but I'd likely say that yes, a potted plant thrown at a strong enough speed could kill.

I'm not sure what the actual speed would be, but she pretty well chucks it out of the window. She hates the plant and is glad to be getting rid of it. She isn't aiming for the victim; she just isn't paying attention and the guy's crossing the road at the wrong moment. Also, she's of average strength for a woman in her early thirties. So, no weak granny toss, but also no bodybuilder discus throw.

Yeah, it should work.

If the plant hits the side of the guy's head (around the temple), he's even more likely to die.

Thwack!

Great! Thanks! XD

depends how high she is too

-9.81 m/s for gravity

reddeffect said:
depends how high she is too

-9.81 m/s for gravity

-9.81 m/s2

I'm not sure exactly how high a 3rd floor apartment window would be. :(

30 feet, so about 10 meters.

In other words... you'd have about 20 m/s velocity going down... About the amount you'd see in a fast moving car, but in a much smaller object hitting a much smaller target.

1. Can a potted plant actually kill someone?

While it is possible for a potted plant to cause harm or even death in certain situations, it is highly unlikely. Most potted plants are not toxic enough to cause serious harm to humans, and would require a large quantity to be ingested to be fatal. However, there are a few rare cases where certain plants can be deadly if consumed, so it is always important to be cautious and research the toxicity of a plant before bringing it into your home.

2. What makes a potted plant dangerous?

A potted plant can be considered dangerous if it is highly toxic or if it contains thorns or spikes that can cause physical harm. Some plants also produce irritants that can cause allergic reactions or skin irritation. Additionally, if a potted plant is kept in a poorly ventilated area, it can release harmful chemicals into the air and cause health issues.

3. How can a potted plant cause harm?

A potted plant can cause harm through ingestion, contact with toxic substances, or physical injury. Some plants may have poisonous berries or leaves that can be harmful if consumed. Others may have sap or other substances that can cause skin irritation. Plants with thorns or spikes can also cause cuts or puncture wounds if handled improperly.

4. Can a potted plant release toxins into the air?

Yes, certain potted plants can release toxins into the air. This is more likely to happen in poorly ventilated areas or if the plant is overwatered, which can cause mold or mildew to grow. Some plants, such as peace lilies and snake plants, are known for their air-purifying abilities, but it is important to research the potential risks associated with these plants as well.

5. How can I keep myself safe from potted plants?

To ensure your safety around potted plants, it is important to research the toxicity and potential hazards of each plant before bringing it into your home. Always wear gloves when handling plants with thorns or prickly leaves, and wash your hands afterwards. Keep potted plants in well-ventilated areas and avoid overwatering them to prevent the growth of mold or mildew. If you have small children or pets, be sure to keep toxic plants out of their reach.