Can a Spherical Object in Space Achieve Fusion Without External Forces?

In summary, hypothetic fusion physics is a field of study that explores the possibility of harnessing the energy created by fusion reactions for practical use. This involves researching and understanding the fundamental principles of fusion reactions, as well as developing methods for controlling and sustaining these reactions. The ultimate goal of hypothetic fusion physics is to create a sustainable and efficient source of energy that could potentially replace traditional fossil fuels. However, there are many challenges and unanswered questions in this field, making it a complex and ongoing area of research.
barycenter
At what mass (if any) could a perfectly spherical, stationary object, without the influence of external gravitational forces, achieve fusion in space? Why/why not? What would, or would not, be the outcome of the sphere? Please supply link(s) to additional information.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
barycenter said:
At what mass (if any) could a perfectly spherical, stationary object, without the influence of external gravitational forces, achieve fusion in space? Why/why not? What would, or would not, be the outcome of the sphere? Please supply link(s) to additional information.

Yes, it's possible, limit is around 10% of mass of Sun. Additional information :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star

xlines, thanks for replying. I do have a follow up question though. If you believe a mass about 1/10th the size of the Sun can achieve fusion, than why aren't there any signs of fusion coming from Jupiter?

As for the link to Wikipedia, I'm not too sure about their credibility, but I will check to see if their references hold water. I look forward to your follow-up answer.

Last edited:
I think I recall that the limit for H-He fusion is about 50 times Jupiter masses (or something of that oderer of magnitude.)

And brown dwarfs are just 10 times more massive than jupiter.

Remember that deuterium, and to a lesser extent tritium, also exist in other planets and stars. A collapsing mass of matter could be massive enough to ignite D-D fusion but NOT P-P fusion. I think I read somewhere that Jupiter itself MIGHT have a small amount of fusion reactions going on thanks to this. (But take it with a grain of salt, as I have no idea where I heard that from)

barycenter said:
xlines, thanks for replying. I do have a follow up question though. If you believe a mass about 1/10th the size of the Sun can achieve fusion, than why aren't there any signs of fusion coming from Jupiter?.

Well, having only one in thousand mass of Sun, Jupiter is below stated limit. As far as I recall, Jupiter emits much more energy that it receives from Sun, but I can't claim it is fusion in origin. I recall vaguely that it has something with converting gravitational potential energy of helium droplets falling to heat or something ...

Related to Can a Spherical Object in Space Achieve Fusion Without External Forces?

Question 1: What is hypothetic fusion physics?

Hypothetic fusion physics is a theoretical field of physics that studies the potential for harnessing fusion reactions as a source of energy. It involves creating and testing various hypothetical models and scenarios for achieving controlled fusion reactions.

Question 2: How does hypothetic fusion differ from actual fusion research?

Hypothetic fusion is focused on developing and testing theoretical models, while actual fusion research involves conducting experiments and building devices to achieve fusion reactions. Hypothetic fusion is a necessary first step in the process of developing successful fusion technology.

Question 3: What are some potential applications of hypothetic fusion?

If successfully harnessed, hypothetic fusion could provide a virtually limitless source of clean energy, with the potential to power entire cities or even countries. It could also be used for space propulsion, allowing for faster and more efficient space travel.

Question 4: What are some challenges facing hypothetic fusion research?

One of the main challenges is creating and maintaining the extreme conditions necessary for fusion reactions to occur, such as high temperatures and pressures. Another challenge is finding materials that can withstand the intense heat and radiation produced by fusion reactions.

Question 5: What progress has been made in hypothetic fusion research?

While hypothetic fusion is still in the early stages of development, there have been significant advancements in understanding and modeling fusion reactions. Some experimental fusion devices, such as tokamaks, have also shown promising results. However, much more research and development is still needed before hypothetic fusion can become a practical energy source.