Can an Inductor hold a charge?

In summary: There is no truth to the idea that an inductor will not hold a charge when not connected to a circuit. Inductors can and will hold a charge to some degree, even when disconnected from a circuit.
physMommy
I understand that in an ideal world, an inductor will not hold a charge (when not connected to a circuit). Ideally, there would need to be a current through the inductor to generate a B-field to store energy.

I once read, that (since this is not an ideal world), an inductor actually CAN and WILL hold a charge, rather than fully discharging when disconnected from a circuit.

I'm looking for a valid argument either way.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It can't hold a charge, but a superconducting inductor can hold a current.

Which means that it retains it's magnetic field in the same way as a magnet holds it's field.

Let me explain where I'm coming from with this.
I was told I needed to discharge an inductor used in a simple LR circuit before completing the circuit.
Theoretically, this makes no sense as the inductor should not be charged/storing energy outside of a circuit.
Is there really a need to discharge an inductor prior to introducing it to a circuit?
I did read that in actuality, an inductor will store energy independently, to some degree.
Is this possible?

No, that makes no sense.

You might need to slowly power down a big inductor before trying to disconnect it because it may arc over if you break the circuit suddenly. (Current continues to flow because of electromagnetic inertia).

In the short term, an inductor stores energy in it's field during operation, but we're talking about fractions of a second. That energy dissipates when the circuit is broken and is gone when the current reaches zero.

Contrast the charge holding properties of a capacitor which may hold a lethal charge for several minutes or even hours if it's big enough.

Thanks, AJ!
This confirms my thoughts.

I did google the topic before and found a source which said an inductor will hold a charge/energy and needs to be discharged, but I am unable to locate that source, now. It was something I came across and wanted to verify the reliability of the source.

1. Can an Inductor hold a charge?

Yes, an inductor can hold a charge. When a current flows through an inductor, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field stores energy in the form of an electric charge.

2. How long can an inductor hold a charge?

The length of time that an inductor can hold a charge depends on various factors such as the inductance value, resistance of the circuit, and the amount of current flowing through the inductor. Generally, an inductor can hold a charge for a few milliseconds to several seconds.

3. What happens to the charge in an inductor when the current stops?

When the current stops flowing through an inductor, the magnetic field collapses and releases the stored energy in the form of an electric charge. This phenomenon is known as inductive kickback or back electromotive force (EMF).

4. Can an inductor store a DC charge?

Yes, an inductor can store a DC charge. However, the amount of charge stored in an inductor is limited by its inductance value. Inductors are commonly used in DC circuits for energy storage and noise filtering.

5. How does the inductance value affect the charge storage capacity of an inductor?

The inductance value of an inductor directly affects its charge storage capacity. A higher inductance value means that the inductor can store more charge. Similarly, a lower inductance value means that the inductor can store less charge. In other words, the higher the inductance, the longer the inductor can hold a charge.