1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Can any object have moment of inertia greater than that of a hoop?

1. Mar 27, 2016 #1
    Can any object have moment of inertia greater than that of a hoop?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Two hoops.
    A more massive hoop.
    A larger hoop.

I could speculate what you actually want to know, there the answer would be "no", but currently the answer is a clear yes.

4. Mar 27, 2016 #3
    But,sir/mam what I really want to know is whether........When you have been given a spherical body with a radius R (say) then can its radius of gyration be larger than R????????????o_O

5. Mar 27, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

1. It's not mfb's fault if you asked an unclear question.
    2. Spherical? Hoop? Make up your mind!

6. Mar 28, 2016 #5
    sorry for that brother.............:bow:
    consider a spherical body........forget the 1st comment.......

7. Mar 28, 2016 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Mar 28, 2016 #7

mfb

2016 Award

A hoop has a larger moment of inertia around its symmetry axis than a spherical body of the same mass and radius.

9. Mar 28, 2016 #8
    Don't forget the parallel axis theorem. Increases moment of inertia by rotating the hoop about another axis entirely.

Meanwhile...I basically agree, the hoop may be the shape with the highest intrinsic moment of inertia. Because all the mass in a hoop is some distance away from the center of mass. In any other body, much of the mass of closer to the center, which decreases your rotational inertia.

10. Mar 29, 2016 #9
    Thanks Robphy:thumbup:......:smile:
    Well then if i have a spherical body of radius R that rolls on a horizontal surface with linear velocity v and angular velocity ω. Let L1 and L2 be the magnitudes of angular momenta of the body about centre of mass and point of contact respectively.Then is it true that L2 greater than L1 if K(radius of gyration) is larger than R....??????????
    o_O

11. Mar 29, 2016 #10

mfb

2016 Award

At the same angular velocity, an axis through the center of mass is always the axis with minimal angular momentum. This is a direct consequence of the parallel axis theorem.
    If you compare different angular velocities, you'll have to calculate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted