Can anyone explain Fresnels equations to me ?

• Thread starter physics love
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, Fresnels equations describe the relationship between transmitted and reflected amplitude relative to the incoming amplitude of a wave when it hits a boundary between two materials with different refraction indices. It gives the ratios of reflected and transmitted amplitudes for each polarization of the wave. The Brewster angle can be observed on a graph of these coefficients, where all reflected light is polarized perpendicular to the plane of incidence. A good source for more information on Fresnels equations is the Wikipedia page on the topic.
physics love
can anyone explain Fresnels equations to me ??

Hi members

I am undergraduate student , this term I study optics course

but there are some things I don't understand it as Fresnels equations !

can anyone explain Fresnels equations to me in details ??

or give me link take about Fresnels equations.

thanks a lot in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

When a wave hits a boundary between two materials with (in the optics case) different refraction indices, part of the wave will be reflected and part of it transmitted. Fresnels equations describe the relationship between transmitted and reflected amplitude relative to the incoming amplitude of a wave. If the incoming amplitude is Ai, the transmitted At and the reflected amplitude Ar, we have that Fresnels equations give the ratios r=Ar/Ai and t=At/Ai, with one r and t for each polarisation of the wave (parallell or perpendicular to the plane of incidence).

If you graph the coefficents r and t you can for example see the Brewster angle, where all reflected light is polarised perpendicular to the plane of incidence.

Wikipedia has a relatively good page on the Fresnel equations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are Fresnel's equations?

Fresnel's equations are a set of equations that describe the reflection and transmission of light at an interface between two media with different refractive indices.

2. How do Fresnel's equations work?

Fresnel's equations use the principles of electromagnetic theory to determine the ratio of reflected and transmitted light at an interface, taking into account the angle of incidence and the refractive indices of the two media.

3. Why are Fresnel's equations important?

Fresnel's equations are important because they help us understand and predict how light behaves at an interface between two media, which is crucial in many applications such as optics, electronics, and materials science.

4. Can Fresnel's equations be applied to all types of light?

Yes, Fresnel's equations can be applied to all types of light, including visible light, infrared light, and ultraviolet light.

5. How are Fresnel's equations related to Snell's law?

Fresnel's equations are derived from Snell's law, which describes how light bends as it passes through different media with different refractive indices. Fresnel's equations take into account both the angle of incidence and the polarization of the light, while Snell's law only takes into account the angle of incidence.