Do the Fresnel equations of reflection apply to monochromatic light?

In summary, the question is whether the Fresnel equations apply when estimating the reflectance and transmitance of a monochromatic light with a wavelength of around 420 nm. It is pointed out that the index of refraction is dependent on the wavelength, and further consideration of the wavelength is needed. Additionally, it is asked if a monochromatic light passing through a collimator will produce unpolarized light.
XLAYZ
Hello,

I have a monochromatic light source (wavelength ~ 420 nm), which will be incident on the interface of two different media. Could someone please explain if the Fresnel equations applies with monochromatic light when estimating the reflectance and transmitance?
Thank you in advance!

Fresnel equation:

QQ截图20190827123751.png

Science news on Phys.org
XLAYZ said:
Could someone please explain if the Fresnel equations applies with monochromatic light when estimating the reflectance and transmitance?

Would it help if I pointed out that the index of refraction n = n(λ)?

Likes XLAYZ
Andy Resnick said:
Would it help if I pointed out that the index of refraction n = n(λ)?
Thank you for your hint, now I realized that I also need to take the wavelength into account.
BTW, when a constant monochromatic light (λ≈420 nm) passes through a ø 2.5 mm and 15 mm collimator to produce parallel light beams, is this light unpolarized? Thanks.

1. What are the Fresnel equations of reflection?

The Fresnel equations of reflection are mathematical equations that describe the behavior of light when it reflects off of a surface. These equations take into account the angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the two media, and the polarization of the light.

2. Do the Fresnel equations of reflection apply to all types of light?

No, the Fresnel equations of reflection only apply to monochromatic light, which means light of a single wavelength. For light that contains multiple wavelengths, such as white light, the equations must be applied separately for each individual wavelength.

3. What is the angle of incidence in the Fresnel equations of reflection?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which the light ray strikes the surface. It is measured between the incident ray and the normal to the surface at the point of incidence.

4. How do the Fresnel equations of reflection differ from the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. The Fresnel equations, on the other hand, take into account the refractive indices of the two media and the polarization of the light, making them more accurate for predicting the behavior of reflected light.

5. Can the Fresnel equations of reflection be used to calculate the intensity of reflected light?

Yes, the Fresnel equations can be used to calculate the intensity of reflected light. By plugging in the appropriate values for the angle of incidence, refractive indices, and polarization, the equations can determine the amount of light that is reflected off of a surface.