Understanding Reflectance with Fresnel Equation for Non-Polarized Light

• A
  • Thread starter tanveers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fresnel
In summary, the conversation discusses a new member's research on light reflection from carbon nanotubes. They mention using the Fresnel Equation to determine reflectance for S and P polarized light, but are unsure how to predict reflectance for light that is neither S nor P polarized. The attached figure shows their experimental setup and they suggest decomposing the laser polarization into S and P components to analyze them separately.
tanveers
Hi All,

I am new to this forum. We are researching light reflection from carbon nanotubes. Now I know about the Fresnel Equation that can be used to determine reflectance for S (perpendicular to the plane of the incident) and P (parallel to the plane of the incident) polarized light.Now, if I want to know reflectance from a dielectric interface of light beam which is neither S nor P polarized rather it is in between. I would like to make it clearer. Please refer to the attached figure which shows our experimental setup. Now if we change the angle φ between 0 and 90 degree then they are basically representing P and S polarization respectively and the reflectance from the sample can be predicted using Fresnel equation. However if the variation of φ is continuous from 0 to 90 degree how do I predict the reflectance? Let's say φ = 10, 20, 30,…..90. Thanks a lot in advance.

test.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
tanveers said:
However if the variation of φ is continuous from 0 to 90 degree how do I predict the reflectance?
Then decompose the laser polarization into S and P components and analyze them separately.

1. What is the Fresnel equation?

The Fresnel equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the reflection and transmission of light at an interface between two media with different refractive indices.

2. How is the Fresnel equation derived?

The Fresnel equation is derived from Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It takes into account the angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the two media, and the polarization of the incident light.

3. What is the significance of the Fresnel equation?

The Fresnel equation is important in understanding the behavior of light at interfaces and is used in various fields such as optics, physics, and engineering. It helps to predict the amount of light that will be reflected and transmitted at an interface, and is also used in the design of optical components.

4. Can the Fresnel equation be applied to all types of light?

Yes, the Fresnel equation can be applied to all types of light as long as the light is described as an electromagnetic wave. This includes visible light, infrared radiation, and radio waves.

5. Are there any limitations to the Fresnel equation?

While the Fresnel equation is a useful tool for predicting the behavior of light at interfaces, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the surfaces are perfectly smooth and that the incident light is monochromatic (single wavelength). It also does not take into account the effects of absorption or scattering at the interface.