Can anyone translate this German for application to University of Hamburg?

In summary: And UK is:a) united:to unite, united, united = vereinigen, vereinigt, vereinigta verb independent of any country, ergo, there is already a translated version. Not using it would be strange.b) kingdom = Königreich (n.)This exists as a completely independent noun, too. So why not use it?
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am in the process of applying to the University of Hamburg. As an international student, I have to get my Indian certificates "converted" to the German system before the application begins in February. The university has released a set of rules for this: https://www.uni-hamburg.de/campusce...etter/en-anleitung-zeugnisanerkennung-uhh.pdf (jump to page 10).

I am trying to make an account in their student information network, but everything is in German. Even the names of countries have been translated to German. And I cannot seem to find India in the list.

1669476957697.png

It seems that "Indien" is closest to "Indian". Can anyone please confirm this? Because Google Translate says "Indien" means "in the event that."

Can someone also check the translation for this section:

1669477225783.png

This translates to:

1669477293458.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
It seems that "Indien" is closest to "Indian". Can anyone please confirm this? Because Google Translate says "Indien" means "in the event that."
Seriously? Just google for "german name for India". It must be Indien.

Likes dextercioby, Vanadium 50 and Wrichik Basu
It's a good job you're not from the UK, because that's Vereinigtes Koenigreich.

• Haha
Likes dextercioby and fresh_42
Don't you need to be able to speak German to go here?

PeroK said:
But why would somebody translate the name of countries? Isn't that supposed to be a proper noun, and a "constant" in any language? Similar to name of people. "John" cannot become something else in another language.

• Wow
  • Skeptical
Likes phinds, Astronuc and PeroK
Office_Shredder said:
Don't you need to be able to speak German to go here?
No, the course I am applying to is in English, and they have only asked for a certificate in English proficiency.

Wrichik Basu said:
But why would somebody translate the name of countries? Isn't that supposed to be a proper noun, and a "constant" in any language? Similar to name of people. "John" cannot become something else in another language.
You seriously think that Germany, Italy, Spain are all called that in those countries?

Many major cities have different names in each language: Muenchen is Munich; Koeln is Cologne; Milano is Milan; Napoli is Naples; Sevilla is Seville; Wien is Vienna. London is Londres in French; Edinburgh is Edimbourg. Many of the major cities in Switzerland (La Suisse, Der Schweiz, La Svizzera) have French and German names: Geneve, Genf; Lucerne, Luzern; Basle, Basel.

And that's just Europe.

PS the Matterhorn is Monte Cervino in Italian and Le Cervin in French.

• Informative
Likes atyy, dextercioby, phinds and 3 others
Wrichik Basu said:
But why would somebody translate the name of countries?
Cote de Ivoire?
Timor-Leste?
Sierra Leone?
Cabo Verde?
El Salvador?

Likes dextercioby
PeroK said:
Worse than that: Vereinigtes Königreich. But you should be used to the Umlaut since ...
1669494192851.jpeg

Likes pinball1970 and atyy
PeroK said:
Many major cities have different names in each language: Muenchen is Munich; Koeln is Cologne; Milano is Milan; Napoli is Naples; Sevilla is Seville; Wien is Vienna. London is Londres in French; Edinburgh is Edimbourg. Many of the major cities in Switzerland (La Suisse, Der Schweiz, La Svizzera) have French and German names: Geneve, Genf; Lucerne, Luzern; Basle, Basel.
You left out my favorite: Lavorno (Italy) in English is Leghorn. Now isn't THAT intuitive :smile:

• Haha
Likes fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
Worse than that: Vereinigtes Königreich. But you should be used to the Umlaut
I can never remember how to find it on an English keyboard.

Wrichik Basu said:
I doubt that India is the correct name in Hindi. Isn't it already translated?

And UK is:

a) united:
to unite, united, united = vereinigen, vereinigt, vereinigt
a verb independent of any country, ergo, there is already a translated version. Not using it would be strange.

b) kingdom = Königreich (n.)
This exists as a completely independent noun, too. So why not use it?

Whether names are translated or not has primarily historical reasons and how well the translation comes in naturally. E.g. France in German is Frankreich = Reich der Franken = (King-)dom of the Franks. If you look at the history, then you will find that it was the kingdom of franks long, long before it became France. We also say Neu-Delhi instead of New Delhi. (The use of New Delhi in the following quotation is due to Google's translation.)
German Wikipedia said:
The relationship between the names Delhi [Delhi] and New Delhi [Neu-Delhi] is complex. New Delhi [Neu-Delhi] is part of the metropolitan city of Delhi [Delhi], which is co-administered by the Indian central government as the National Capital Territory of Delhi [Delhi]. In a narrower sense, New Delhi [Neu-Delhi] only refers to the government district that was planned during the British colonial period, which only covers a very small part of the capital's territory and essentially corresponds to the borders of the municipal administration unit New Delhi [Neu-Delhi]. With the district of New Delhi [Neu-Delhi], which can be distinguished, there is another administrative unit of the same name with a different demarcation.

On the other hand, we say New York City instead of Neu-Amsterdam. It is strange when it comes to names. They have to be learned by heart anyway, so nobody really bothers a unification. E.g., the Rhône has no gender in English, is female in German, die Rhone, and male in France, le Rhône.

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby and Wrichik Basu
PeroK said:
No special treatment for Lemmy, that is sad to hear.

Likes collinsmark
PeroK said:
On Windows I have enabled UK Extended Keyboard, so "ö" is Alt-Gr with double-quote to set up the dead key umlaut accent then "o". That keyboard mapping covers quite a lot of accented characters that I use but unfortunately not the Swedish upper or lower case "Å", for which I usually use Character Map.

Likes PeroK
Jonathan Scott said:
On Windows I have enabled UK Extended Keyboard, so "ö" is Alt-Gr with double-quote to set up the dead key umlaut accent then "o". That keyboard mapping covers quite a lot of accented characters that I use but unfortunately not the Swedish upper or lower case "Å", for which I usually use Character Map.

In such cases, I use Wikipedia for translation and copy paste it:
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Ångström

fresh_42 said:
No special treatment for Lemmy, that is sad to hear.
I bought Motorhead's first album in white vinyl from the Greyfriars (second hand) record market in Edinburgh in 1981 during my first year at university.

The best track as I recall was Iron Horse.

• Love
Likes fresh_42
phinds said:
Lavorno (Italy) in English is Leghorn. Now isn't THAT intuitive
Son, I say, son, am I going too fast for y'all?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes DaveE, hutchphd, Ibix and 2 others
PeroK said:
You seriously think that Germany, Italy, Spain are all called that in those countries?
I have wondered why we say "Germany" in English when they say "Deutschland" in ... Deutsch. I mean, it isn't even close. They are clearly two different words. Unlike these:
Milano is Milan; Napoli is Naples; Sevilla is Seville

Likes Wrichik Basu
Vanadium 50 said:
So, I say, son, am I going too fast for y'all?
sirena da nebbia lavorno?

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50
gmax137 said:
I have wondered why we say "Germany" in English when they say "Deutschland" in ... Deutsch. I mean, it isn't even close. They are clearly two different words. Unlike these:
I don't know. The French call Germany Allemagne. Austria is L'Autriche in French and Österreich in German. So, some country names have quite a lot of variation. Whereas, Italy, Italie, Italian, Italia are all minor variations.

I've also noticed that (I think) all French city names are spelled the same in English, even if the pronunciation is different. Paris, rather than Paree. In Spain there is only Seville that's slightly different. In Germany there are a few. But, almost all the major Italian city names are different in English: Milan, Naples, Florence, Rome, Genoa, Turin, Venice.

You could easily research this, I imagine.

PeroK said:
The best track as I recall was Iron Horse.
I prefer the earlier On Parole version - more bluesy.

phinds said:
You left out my favorite: Lavorno (Italy) in English is Leghorn. Now isn't THAT intuitive :smile:
It's Livorno.

gmax137 said:
That part of Europe has been known as Germania or similar for over 2000 years, various names have been used for various parts of it since then: I believe it has been (Bundesrepublik) Deutschland for less than a century.

PeroK said:
But, almost all the major Italian city names are different in English: Milan, Naples, Florence, Rome, Genoa, Turin, Venice.
Similarly, Britain has been trading with that part of Europe for thousands of years. Italian has been only been spoken in much of it relatively recently. For instance the Romans used the name Florentiae (probably FLOR-EN-SEE-EYE) for we now call Florence in English: in Italian it is Firenze (FEER-EN-SI, with apologies to any native Italian speakers).

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
Wrichik Basu said:
Similar to name of people. "John" cannot become something else in another language.
Please don't tell that to anyone named Sean, Ian, Juan, Jan, Ivan, Johann or Giovanni.

• Wow
Likes phinds, Wrichik Basu and fresh_42
phyzguy said:
Please don't tell that to anyone named Sean, Ian, Juan, Jan, Ivan, Johann or Giovanni.
Although, I have never read Hans Wayne or Johannes Wayne somewhere.

fresh_42 said:
Although, I have never read Hans Wayne or Johannes Wayne somewhere.
Another great example of linguistic differences: the German word irgendwo translates as either "somewhere" or "anywhere". You picked the wrong one :biggrin:

Edit: shouldn't it be nirgendwo? This usually translates to "nowhere" but here this is "never ... anywhere" (can also be "not anywhere" etc., but never "not somewhere" or "not nowhere" (which is a double negative)).

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
pbuk said:
Another great example of linguistic differences: the German word irgendwo translates as either "somewhere" or "anywhere". You picked the wrong one :biggrin:
The problem with those automatic spell and grammar checkers is that you become lazy. If there is nothing underlined in red then you forget to check it twice.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Learnt something new.

Anyway, I gave up Hamburg due to financial constraints. Not much hope anywhere. Will have to stick inside the country only.

gmax137 said:
I have wondered why we say "Germany" in English when they say "Deutschland" in ... Deutsch. I mean, it isn't even close. They are clearly two different words.
It's because "Dutch-land" would be the Netherlands. Then again, here in the US "Dutch" often refers to Germans, anyway, as in the "Pennsylvania Dutch" or the "Dutch Fork" area of South Carolina. But then there are also places like New York City, the Hudson Valley, and southwest Michigan where "Dutch" really does refer to Netherlanders...

jtbell said:
It's because "Dutch-land" would be the Netherlands. Then again, here in the US "Dutch" often refers to Germans, anyway, as in the "Pennsylvania Dutch" or the "Dutch Fork" area of South Carolina. But then there are also places like New York City, the Hudson Valley, and southwest Michigan where "Dutch" really does refer to Netherlanders...
Wikipedia said:
The term Deutschland has been used since the 15th century, but is attested in individual documents even earlier; in the Frankfurt translation of the Golden Bull (around 1365) it is called Dutschelant. The term deutsch derives from the Old High German thiutisk (West Franconian *Þeodisk, Germanic *þeudisk), which originally meant "belonging to the people" (Germanic *þeuðō, Old High German thiot[a] "people"). This word was primarily used to describe the vernacular of all speakers of a Germanic idiom in contrast to the Welsh of the neighboring Romance peoples, French or Italian, and also in contrast to the Latin of the Christian priests in the Germanic peoples' own area.

Allemagne comes from the Alamanni or Alemanni who were an ancient and early medieval population group that is assigned to the West Germanic culture. The people in northern Switzerland, southwest Germany, and also the French people across the Rhine in Alsace are still Alemanni (with very similar native languages)

525px-Alemanni_expansion.png

The meaning of the English word Germany is clear but imprecise. I mean German tribes include Scandinavia, central Europe, England, and meanwhile large parts of North America.

Germania and Repubblica Federale Tedesca is the Italian version. I couldn't figure out where tedesco comes from.
The Russians say Germania and Njemetski for German, which basically means mute because the Slavic people (neighbors, a minority) didn't understand them. Many geographic names in east Germany, including Berlin, are of Slavic origin.
The Hungarians basically use the same Slavic word for mute.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes gmax137 and PeroK
fresh_42 said:
The problem with those automatic spell and grammar checkers is that you become lazy. If there is nothing underlined in red then you forget to check it twice.
England in German in England as is Lancashire and Manchester. Thank you

Likes fresh_42
pinball1970 said:
Well, yes, I guess. But the ultimate test is Worcestershire sauce!

• Haha
Likes phinds and pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
Well, yes, I guess. But the ultimate test is Worcestershire sauce!
The German removes the part we do not actually say!

Worcestersauce!

pinball1970 said:
I remember that in German all rivers are either masculine or feminine. This applies not only to German rivers ( der Rhein, die Oder) but to others as well. It's die Themse and der Mississippi, for example.

Likes pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
I doubt that India is the correct name in Hindi. Isn't it already translated?
Yes, you are right. India is not "India" in Hindi. But at the same time, all Indian university have admission forms primarily in English. Even if they have a Hindi or regional language version, the names of all countries will be phonetically translated. So, Germany will become "जर्मनी" but pronounce the same as the English name. I was a bit surprised that even though Hamburg admits international students, all but one page is in German, which doesn't seem fair.

<h2>1. What are the requirements for applying to the University of Hamburg?</h2><p>The requirements for applying to the University of Hamburg vary depending on the program and level of study. Generally, international students are required to have a high school diploma or equivalent, proof of proficiency in German language, and may also need to take entrance exams or submit additional documents.</p><h2>2. Is it necessary to have my German application documents translated?</h2><p>Yes, it is necessary to have your German application documents translated into the language of instruction, which is typically German. This is to ensure that the admissions committee can properly review and understand your application.</p><h2>3. Can I use an online translation tool for my application documents?</h2><p>No, it is not recommended to use online translation tools for your application documents. These tools may not accurately translate technical or academic language, which could affect the quality and credibility of your application.</p><h2>4. How can I find a reliable translator for my application documents?</h2><p>You can find a reliable translator through professional translation services or by hiring a certified translator. It is important to ensure that the translator is proficient in both German and your native language, and has experience translating academic documents.</p><h2>5. How long does it take to translate application documents for the University of Hamburg?</h2><p>The time it takes to translate your application documents will depend on the length and complexity of the documents, as well as the availability of the translator. It is recommended to start the translation process early to ensure that your documents are ready before the application deadline.</p>

1. What are the requirements for applying to the University of Hamburg?

The requirements for applying to the University of Hamburg vary depending on the program and level of study. Generally, international students are required to have a high school diploma or equivalent, proof of proficiency in German language, and may also need to take entrance exams or submit additional documents.

2. Is it necessary to have my German application documents translated?

Yes, it is necessary to have your German application documents translated into the language of instruction, which is typically German. This is to ensure that the admissions committee can properly review and understand your application.

3. Can I use an online translation tool for my application documents?

No, it is not recommended to use online translation tools for your application documents. These tools may not accurately translate technical or academic language, which could affect the quality and credibility of your application.

4. How can I find a reliable translator for my application documents?

You can find a reliable translator through professional translation services or by hiring a certified translator. It is important to ensure that the translator is proficient in both German and your native language, and has experience translating academic documents.

5. How long does it take to translate application documents for the University of Hamburg?

The time it takes to translate your application documents will depend on the length and complexity of the documents, as well as the availability of the translator. It is recommended to start the translation process early to ensure that your documents are ready before the application deadline.