Will a Low GPA Due to an Accident Affect My University Applications?

• Thread starter santo35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics gre
In summary, an industrial engineering student from India studying in a top college had an accident during a semester and was unable to complete a subject, resulting in a GPA of 0 for that semester. They will complete the subject by the end of their final year but will not have a GPA before the application deadline. The student has a strong profile with publications, projects, and a conference, and is aiming for middle tier universities. They are unsure if the incomplete subject will impact their application and are considering recalculating their GPA without it. They are also planning to take the subject before starting their masters.
santo35
Engineering to Physics and GPA

so here's the thing
i am an industrial engineering student from India studying in one of the top 5 colleges down here (NIT only next to IIT's). I had an accident and was hospitalized during one of my semester and wasnt able to finish a particular subject credits (a non physics subject) and now i am going to my final year and would most probably finish it by the end of my final year. because of which my GPA in that semester is currently '0' ( they calculate gpa only when all the credits has been completed) . i would need to apply for my universities by end of december by then i still wouldn't be completing it as the professor would let me take test only during next February and my GPA for that semmister would still be 0.

Would this be a hindrance for my application ? should i mention them this issue or should i calculate my GPA leaving that subject alone ?

My profile as of now -
2 Journal articles in physics (general relativity)
4 Projects in physics (2 summer and 2 winter projects) (general relativity and Quantum mechanics)
1 Statistical Math Project
1 project to mathematically model product life cycle (used physics model for solving industrial engineering problems)
1 conference (this summer)
1 Lecture course by Prof michael berry (this summer)

Over all GPA now in indian system = 7.2/10
Gre yet to take

And do i have any good chance for middle tier universities ? and what would be a good set of probably universities i should apply to ?

Please do help me out

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously you should recalculate the GPA without that subject.

thanks for the reply .yea i know i should, but would that be a red mark on the application ?

I don't know much about the Indian university system (except that there seems to be a lot of competition for places) but the basic fact is that you haven't done one course that you could have done. That may be less important because it's a non physics course, but it's still a fact.

In an ideal world you would probably calculate your grade as if you had never taken the course at all, but that still means you have done one less course than other applicants. If there were 110 applicants for 100 places, that probably doesn't matter much. If there are 1100 applicants for 100 places, it might matter more.

But isn't he going to take it later?

@alephzero as yellow flash said, yes i am going to take the course(by june or July) before my masters as i need to finish all courses to get my undergrad certificate, but just not before applying for grad school (around december maybe?)
and it is not like am postponing it due to pressure, it is just that i wasnt able to attend lectures as i was hospitalized

And lol yea there is tough competition in india. to get into the college i am doing my under grad, you got to be in the top 20 thousand ranks among 1 million students in the entrance exam.

I think you still should briefly tell them of your extenuating circumstances.

Likes 1 person

Related to Will a Low GPA Due to an Accident Affect My University Applications?

1. Would this be a problem for the environment?

It depends on the specific issue at hand. If the problem involves pollution, deforestation, or other activities that harm the environment, it could definitely be a problem. However, if the problem is related to a new technology or innovation that could potentially benefit the environment, it may not be a problem.

2. Would this be a problem for human health?

Again, it depends on the specific problem. If the issue poses a threat to human health, such as exposure to toxic chemicals or a potential outbreak of a disease, then it could be a problem. However, if the problem is something like a new transportation system or renewable energy source, it may not be a problem for human health.

3. Would this be a problem for the economy?

The impact on the economy is another important consideration. If the problem could have negative consequences for businesses, industries, or the overall economy, then it could be a problem. However, if the issue is something that could potentially boost the economy, such as a new job market or increased efficiency, then it may not be a problem.

4. Would this be a problem for society?

Social implications should also be taken into account when determining if something would be a problem. If the issue could have negative effects on society, such as inequality, discrimination, or disruption of daily life, then it could be a problem. However, if the problem has the potential to improve society, such as promoting equality or advancing technology, then it may not be a problem.

5. Would this be a problem in the long run?

This is an important question to consider when evaluating potential problems. Some issues may not have immediate consequences but could have long-term effects. It is important to assess the potential long-term impacts of a problem to determine if it should be addressed.