Can anyone translate this German for application to University of Hamburg?

In summary: And UK is:a) united:to unite, united, united = vereinigen, vereinigt, vereinigta verb independent of any country, ergo, there is already a translated version. Not using it would be strange.b) kingdom = Königreich (n.)This exists as a completely independent noun, too. So why not use it?
Wrichik Basu said:
Yes, you are right. India is not "India" in Hindi. But at the same time, all Indian university have admission forms primarily in English.
Sure. Because it is the only language that works nationwide. There are simply too many others.
Wrichik Basu said:
Even if they have a Hindi or regional language version, the names of all countries will be phonetically t-ranslated. So, Germany will become "जर्मनी" but pronounce the same as the English name. I was a bit surprised that even though Hamburg admits international students, all but one page is in German, which doesn't seem fair.
Well, at least the basic requirements were in English, including a typo (don't search, I corrected it)
English FAQ site UH said:
To evaluate your secondary school certificate, we need the list of your subjects and grades (X and X+II). As of spring / summer 2022 we also need the certificate from the APS
... and this
Bachelor

Universität Hamburg does not offer any English-taught Bachelor’s degree programs. You may do some research on the following websites to find out where in Germany you can study the subject of your choice in English:
www.hochschulkompass.de/en/degree-programmes
www.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/studiengang/en

Master

Universität Hamburg does offer a small selection of English-taught and bilingual Master's degree programs.
... is a bit disappointing anyway. It surprised me as Hamburg is full of foreigners and English shouldn't be a problem. I knew from an earlier thread that Leipzig offers international programs. Of course, I am not really deep in the matter. I once looked up the official way for my American nephews, but that didn't affect the language barrier, only the admission barriers.

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Because it [English] is the only language that works nationwide.

Not everyone might be aware that only about 45% of India's population speaks Hindi. Further, "Hindi" is an agglomeration of dialects (like many languages) and they could have - but didn't - divide it differently. Is Schweizerdeutsch a dialect of German? Or is it its own language? That's really not a question with an answer.

fresh_42 said:
Well, at least the basic requirements were in English, including a typo
Yeah, those are in English, but once I log in to their student information network STiNE, everything is in German, and I can't proceed without a translation add-on.

Wrichik Basu said:
Yeah, those are in English, but once I log in to their student information network STiNE, everything is in German, and I can't proceed without a translation add-on.

The hard slog way would be, copy each question, google translate to English/Hindi then write your answer and translate back to German.

May not be so bad if you can save each page to draft.

Last edited:
Wrichik Basu said:
I was a bit surprised that even though Hamburg admits international students, all but one page is in German, which doesn't seem fair.
I am even more surprised, because I am from German, and they basically always have English available. Are you sure that you didn't just overlook some hidden flag somewhere?

gentzen said:
I am even more surprised, because I am from German, and they basically always have English available. Are you sure that you didn't just overlook some hidden flag somewhere?
Now that you said this, I looked up the page properly and found a small UK flag near the top-right corner. Thanks! It will be useful in the future if I decide to apply again.

• Love
  • Haha
Likes jtbell, pinball1970 and gentzen
gentzen said:
I think they had some server issues some time ago, so maybe it is not everything online again.

Their main entrance is available in English:
https://www.uni-hamburg.de/en/
... and also their application pages:
https://www.stine.uni-hamburg.de/sc...RGUMENTS=-N000000000000002,-N000339,-A100101e
In case you ended up here ...
1669752600196.png

... click the language button up right.

And this is the general organisation you should contact if you look country wide:
https://www.daad.de/en/study-and-research-in-germany/plan-your-studies/admission-database/

Studying physics in Hamburg could begin here:
https://www.physik.uni-hamburg.de/studium/studiengaenge/masterstudiengaenge/msc-physics.html

Where are the problems? Ok, some pdf are in German, but you can access basically all information in English.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and Wrichik Basu
fresh_42 said:
I think they had some server issues some time ago, so maybe it is not everything online again.
Quite possible. Maybe that's why I was facing serious rendering issues in the application portal in STiNE, on all browsers like FF, Chrome and Opera. Now that my need is over, and we had to decide against applying, the portal seems to be rendering fine. :rolleyes: