Can astrophysicists get a job at NatGeo?

• Physics
  • Thread starter cheesefondue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, it is possible to transition from an undergraduate course in mechanical engineering to a graduate degree in astrophysics, but you'll need to have a strong physics background. National Geographic does not have requirements for astrophysicists, but they do give out grant money for expeditions.
cheesefondue
I'm doing my undergrad course in mechanical engineering and I want to graduate in astrophysics, first of all, is such a transition possible? also, does National Geographic have requirements for astrophysicists, or do they just talk to proffesors of universities.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anything is possible as long as you're not trying to break the laws of thermodynamics. But generally the best background for graduate physics work is a physics undergraduate degree and you'll have to look very closely at the acceptance criteria for any graduate schools you're interested in.

I'm assuming you mean National Geographic, the popular magazine. I don't know much about how they operate, but I'd be willing to bet they don't keep an astrophysicist on staff. Magazines like that are put together by journalists. You may want to look into scientific journalism if you're interested in pursuing that kind of career. I'm not sure there are many programs specifically dedicated to that, but a bachelor's degree in science or engineering coupled with the ability to write well and engagingly will launch you in the right direction.

well, I thought national geographic was more than just a magazine, cause on their website they have expeditions and all sorts of programmes, and the tv channel shows some of these to...so is there nothing more to NatGeo than just scientific media?

National Geographic doesn't hire scientists. It gives out grant money for expeditions with the requirement that it be fully recounted through video or writing.

well, the reason I wanted to work for NatGeo was cus I wanted adventure in my life combined with the sheer exhileration in viewing this world through the eyes of science. So if NatGeo doesn't offer that, do you know any other company or firm that does? Maybe a research sector of some company? Another career that I think interests me is that of a professor, well it gives research opportunities and plus you get to exchange ideas and thoughts with students.Since astro is where my interest lies, I was wondering what the study content is for an astronautics graduate degree, I think that it should be possible to go from an undergrad in mechanical engineering to grad in astronautics cause it's engineering related right? what do you think?

1. Can astrophysicists get a job at NatGeo?

Yes, astrophysicists can definitely get a job at NatGeo. The National Geographic Society regularly hires scientists and researchers to contribute to their publications and media content.

2. What kind of jobs are available for astrophysicists at NatGeo?

Astrophysicists can find a variety of job opportunities at NatGeo, including roles as writers, photographers, researchers, and contributors to television shows and documentaries.

3. Is a background in astrophysics necessary to work at NatGeo?

While a background in astrophysics is highly beneficial, it is not always necessary to work at NatGeo. The organization values a diverse range of expertise and skill sets, so individuals with backgrounds in other related fields may also find opportunities.

4. Are there any specific qualifications or requirements to work at NatGeo as an astrophysicist?

In addition to a strong background in astrophysics, NatGeo may also require candidates to have a relevant degree, research experience, and a portfolio of work that showcases their skills and expertise. Other requirements may vary depending on the specific job position.

5. How can I apply for a job as an astrophysicist at NatGeo?

Interested individuals can visit the National Geographic Society's website or job portal to view current job openings and submit their applications. It is also recommended to regularly check for updates and follow NatGeo's social media channels for any job postings.