Can bounded quantification define divisibility and primality?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Mafaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primitive
In summary, the function that, given $n$, returns the smallest $k\le n$ such that $R(k)$ holds or $n+1$ if no such $k$ exists is called a PR function.
Mafaz

Attachments

• 3Q.png
    3Q.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 90
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Its easiest to prove first that bounded search on a primitive recursive (PR) condition produces a PR function. I means that if the characteristic function of a relation $R(x)$ is PR, then the function that, given $n$, returns the smallest $k\le n$ such that $R(k)$ holds or $n+1$ if no such $k$ exists is PR. More generally $R$ may have parameters $y_1,\ldots,y_p$. Let's denote the bounded search function by $\min_{x\le n}R(x,y_1,\ldots,y_p)$. Then quotient, remainder and greatest common divisor can be obtained in this way because they return a number that is smaller than one of the arguments. It is also possible to show that bounded quantifications $\exists x\le n\,R(x,y_1,\ldots,y_p)$ and $\forall x\le n\,R(x,y_1,\ldots,y_p)$ on a PR relation $R$ are PR. This allows expressing divisibility and primality. For example,
\[
\text{Prime}(x)\iff 1<x\land \forall u\le x-1\;\forall v\le x-1\,uv\ne x.
\]

Several of your examples are described in the book "Computability and Logic" by G. Boolos, J. Burgess and R. Jeffrey, fifth edition, chapters 6 and 7. It requires some reading, but it has a lot of detailed examples.

If you have further questions, please post them here.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Its easiest to prove first that bounded search on a primitive recursive (PR) condition produces a PR function. I means that if the characteristic function of a relation $R(x)$ is PR, then the function that, given $n$, returns the smallest $k\le n$ such that $R(k)$ holds or $n+1$ if no such $k$ exists is PR. More generally $R$ may have parameters $y_1,\ldots,y_p$. Let's denote the bounded search function by $\min_{x\le n}R(x,y_1,\ldots,y_p)$. Then quotient, remainder and greatest common divisor can be obtained in this way because they return a number that is smaller than one of the arguments. It is also possible to show that bounded quantifications $\exists x\le n\,R(x,y_1,\ldots,y_p)$ and $\forall x\le n\,R(x,y_1,\ldots,y_p)$ on a PR relation $R$ are PR. This allows expressing divisibility and primality. For example,
\[
\text{Prime}(x)\iff 1<x\land \forall u\le x-1\;\forall v\le x-1\,uv\ne x.
\]

Several of your examples are described in the book "Computability and Logic" by G. Boolos, J. Burgess and R. Jeffrey, fifth edition, chapters 6 and 7. It requires some reading, but it has a lot of detailed examples.

If you have further questions, please post them here.
thanks but I have difficulty to prove especially prime and divisibility . Actually I need to follow the question and to have base and inductive case.

Would please help me.

Mafaz said:
Actually I need to follow the question and to have base and inductive case.
The usual way of proving that divisibility is PR goes through defining several intermediate PR functions. Perhaps you expect me to write the precise definition of $\mathit{div}(x,y)$ right away, but I'd rather not for two reasons: as I said, this requires intermediate definitions, and you need to show some work, too (see https://mathhelpboards.com/rules/ 11).

First you need to get a textbook that discusses PR functions and study why some some usual functions such as addition, multiplication, factorial, predecessor and subtraction are PR. Also read what PR relations are and why their class is closed under conjunction, disjunction and negation. Next we need to prove that finite sums and bounded existential quantifier on a PR condition is again PR. Perhaps this is also discussed in your textbook. For example, if \(\displaystyle g(n,y)=\sum_{x=0}^n f(x,y)\) where $f(x,y)$ is PR, then $g(n,y)$ is also PR because
\begin{align*}
g(0,y)&=f(0,y)\\
g(n+1,y)&=g(n,y)+f(n+1,y)
\end{align*}
Now try proving that if $R(x,y)$ is a PR relation, then $P(n,y)=\exists x\le n\,R(x,y)$ is also a PR relation.

Thanks for your reply.
So what is this example ?
Is it for qoueint or reminder ?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
The usual way of proving that divisibility is PR goes through defining several intermediate PR functions. Perhaps you expect me to write the precise definition of $\mathit{div}(x,y)$ right away, but I'd rather not for two reasons: as I said, this requires intermediate definitions, and you need to show some work, too (see https://mathhelpboards.com/rules/ 11).

First you need to get a textbook that discusses PR functions and study why some some usual functions such as addition, multiplication, factorial, predecessor and subtraction are PR. Also read what PR relations are and why their class is closed under conjunction, disjunction and negation. Next we need to prove that finite sums and bounded existential quantifier on a PR condition is again PR. Perhaps this is also discussed in your textbook. For example, if \(\displaystyle g(n,y)=\sum_{x=0}^n f(x,y)\) where $f(x,y)$ is PR, then $g(n,y)$ is also PR because
\begin{align*}
g(0,y)&=f(0,y)\\
g(n+1,y)&=g(n,y)+f(n+1,y)
\end{align*}
Now try proving that if $R(x,y)$ is a PR relation, then $P(n,y)=\exists x\le n\,R(x,y)$ is also a PR relation.
Thanks but what is this function for?

Bounded existential quantification can be used to define divisibility and primality, and bounded minimization from post #2, which is similar, can be used to define the rest of the functions in post #1.

1. What is bounded quantification?

Bounded quantification is a logical concept that allows for the restriction of variables in a statement. It is denoted by the symbol ∀x∈S, where x is the variable and S is the set of values that x can take on. This allows for a more precise definition of a statement by limiting the scope of the variable.

2. How can bounded quantification define divisibility?

Bounded quantification can be used to define divisibility by restricting the variable to a set of integers. For example, the statement ∀x∈ℤ, x|y (for all integers x, x divides y) can be used to define divisibility. This statement is true if and only if y is a multiple of x.

3. Can bounded quantification define primality?

Yes, bounded quantification can be used to define primality. The statement ∀x∈ℤ, x|y ∧ x≠1 ∧ x≠y (for all integers x, x divides y and x is not equal to 1 or y) can be used to define primality. This statement is true if and only if y has exactly two divisors, 1 and itself, making it a prime number.

4. Are there any limitations to using bounded quantification to define divisibility and primality?

While bounded quantification can be used to define divisibility and primality, it may not be the most efficient or practical approach. Other mathematical concepts, such as modular arithmetic, may provide more concise and precise definitions for these concepts.

5. How is bounded quantification used in other areas of science?

Bounded quantification is a fundamental concept in logic and mathematics, and it is used in various areas of science, such as computer science, linguistics, and artificial intelligence. It allows for the precise definition of statements and helps in the development of theories and models in these fields.