Can E(Y/S) Be Less Than 1 in IID Random Variables?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter kiwikiwi79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematical
In summary, mathematical statistics is a branch of mathematics that involves using mathematical methods and techniques to analyze and interpret data. The main concepts in mathematical statistics include probability, random variables, statistical distributions, estimation, hypothesis testing, and regression analysis. It has a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, social sciences, economics, finance, and healthcare. It differs from other branches of statistics in its focus on mathematical and theoretical aspects. To excel in mathematical statistics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics and a solid understanding of statistical concepts, as well as strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
kiwikiwi79
Mathematical Statistics~help please!

:cry:

Please help me with these question...

Let S and Y be i.i.d positive random variables with E(X)<infinity.
Show that E(Y/S) is greater or equal to 1. Give an example where

E(Y/X)=positive infinitiy...

I have no Idea where to begin...please help me..

Physics news on Phys.org
E(Y/S) = E(Y)(E1/S) since they are independent.What does it now boil down to showing? What results do you know that tell you when E(f(X)) > f(E(X)) for some function f?

Hi there! Mathematical statistics can definitely be tricky, so I understand your frustration. Let's break down the problem step by step.

First, let's define what it means for two random variables to be i.i.d. This stands for "independent and identically distributed," meaning that the variables have the same probability distribution and are independent of each other. In this case, S and Y have the same probability distribution and are independent.

Next, we need to use the fact that E(X) is finite. This means that the expected value of X exists and is not infinite. We can use this fact to help us solve the problem.

Now, let's look at the expression E(Y/S). This is the expected value of Y divided by S. We want to show that this is greater or equal to 1. To do this, we can use the fact that S and Y are i.i.d. This means that we can rewrite the expression as E(Y/Y), since S and Y have the same probability distribution. Using the definition of expected value, we can rewrite this as the integral of Y times the probability density function of Y, divided by the integral of Y.

Since we know that E(X) is finite, we can use this to show that the integral of Y is also finite. This means that the integral of Y/Y is also finite. And since the integral of Y/Y is just 1, we can conclude that E(Y/S) is greater or equal to 1.

For the second part of the problem, we need to find an example where E(Y/X) is positive infinity. This means that the expected value of Y, when divided by X, will result in a positive infinity. One example of this is when X is equal to 0. In this case, any value of Y will result in a positive infinity when divided by 0. So, we can say that E(Y/X) is positive infinity when X is equal to 0.

I hope this helps! Remember, when solving mathematical statistics problems, it's important to break down the problem step by step and use the definitions and properties of the variables to guide your reasoning. Good luck!

Related to Can E(Y/S) Be Less Than 1 in IID Random Variables?

What is mathematical statistics?

Mathematical statistics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the collection, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of data. It involves using mathematical methods and techniques to make inferences and predictions based on data.

What are the main concepts in mathematical statistics?

The main concepts in mathematical statistics include probability, random variables, statistical distributions, estimation, hypothesis testing, and regression analysis. These concepts are used in various statistical methods to analyze and interpret data.

What are the applications of mathematical statistics?

Mathematical statistics has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, social sciences, economics, finance, and healthcare. It is used to analyze data and make informed decisions in these fields.

How is mathematical statistics different from other branches of statistics?

Mathematical statistics differs from other branches of statistics in that it focuses on the mathematical and theoretical aspects of statistics. It involves using mathematical models and techniques to analyze and interpret data, while other branches of statistics may focus more on practical applications and data analysis.

What skills are needed to excel in mathematical statistics?

To excel in mathematical statistics, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and probability theory. It is also important to have a solid understanding of statistical concepts and techniques, as well as strong analytical and problem-solving skills.