Can Employer Own Rights to Your Ideas? | EMPLOYER

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, this clause from the required learning course at my new employer states that EMPLOYER owns the rights to anything you develop, to the extent permitted by law, regardless of whether this property is patentable or protectable by copyright, trade secret or trademark. You are required to report any intellectual property to EMPLOYER, and must protect it like any other EMPLOYER confidential information.
KingNothing
This is a clause from one of the required learning courses at my new employer:

EMPLOYER owns the rights to anything you develop while employed at EMPLOYER to the extent permitted by law, regardless of whether this property is patentable or protectable by copyright, trade secret or trademark. You must report the intellectual property to EMPLOYER, and must protect it like any other EMPLOYER confidential information.

I'm no lawyer, but this just seems wrong. I have a few ideas in my head - some inventions I would like to try - that pertain to improvements on modern wheelchairs. Totally unrelated. How in the world would my employer own the rights to this if I develop the idea further?

Physics news on Phys.org

KingNothing said:
This is a clause from one of the required learning courses at my new employer:

I'm no lawyer, but this just seems wrong. I have a few ideas in my head - some inventions I would like to try - that pertain to improvements on modern wheelchairs. Totally unrelated. How in the world would my employer own the rights to this if I develop the idea further?

"to the extent permitted by law"

If something should ever happen you can always challenge any claims in court. But it is pretty much standard practice for employers to claim ownership of anything an employee does while in their employ. I think this is done mainly as a default to limit challenges where ownership may not be clear.

However, if you use any information or equipment - the physical or intellectual property of the employer - or time that was on their clock, they would probably have a legitimate claim of ownership.

Depends where you work. Many universities here in the UK have a clause in their contract that basically says anything you discover with your field is their IP. The only way you can retain it is if you can prove in a court of law that the product/discovery/IP was developed entirely independently from anything going on at the university. This can be a very tricky thing because the university can always argue that if it wasn't for them you wouldn't be in the field.

I learned all that from a lecture I had from an IP lawyer in undergrad. It made me feel a little sick by the end.

It's very common, I was under an intellectual poperty clause at my old company, and when I left, I was taken into a small room with two HR people and "debriefed" for a couple of hours, had to sign a bunch of papers. That was also when they realized they had never had me sign a "non-compete". My new company made sure I signed my life away (and I think they can get me in the afterlife too).

If things you wish to work on at home, on your own time is completely unrelated to your current job or field, no information or ideas you got at work is used for your project, then it's probably ok. You could always talk to your manager, HR or company legal if there might be some question about it.

Last edited:

Whether it's normal or not...that just makes me kind of sick. Frankly if it's not part of their business and doesn't affect them in any way...then it's none of their business!

KingNothing said:
Whether it's normal or not...that just makes me kind of sick. Frankly if it's not part of their business and doesn't affect them in any way...then it's none of their business!
A bit of an overreaction. It's just a piece of paper.

The point is, whether it's part of their business and whether it affects them in any way is an iffy call. They are simply ensuring that, while in their employ, the judgment call of what might belong to them is not entirely yours to make in a vacuum.

IIRC my employment contract (in the UK) is not quite so draconian, but it does say that I have to inform my employers about any commerical activities outside of my work. That seems fair enough - it's basically a "no moonlighting without our permission" clause.

don't worry, the lawyers won't bother you for your thoughts unless you just happen to get rich off of one of them.

Related to Can Employer Own Rights to Your Ideas? | EMPLOYER

1. What are intellectual property rights?

Intellectual property rights refer to the legal ownership and protections for creations of the mind, such as inventions, literary and artistic works, symbols, names, and images used in commerce.

2. Can my employer claim ownership of my ideas?

It depends on the terms of your employment contract and the laws in your jurisdiction. In some cases, an employer may have the right to claim ownership of any ideas or inventions created by an employee within the scope of their job duties.

3. What if I come up with an idea outside of work hours?

If the idea is related to your job or falls within the scope of your employment contract, your employer may still have rights to it. However, if the idea is completely unrelated to your job and was not developed using company resources, you may have a stronger case for ownership.

4. Can I negotiate the ownership of my ideas with my employer?

Yes, it is possible to negotiate the ownership of your ideas with your employer. It is important to have a clear understanding of your employment contract and any relevant laws in your jurisdiction before entering into negotiations.

5. What steps can I take to protect my ideas from being claimed by my employer?

If you are concerned about your employer claiming ownership of your ideas, it is important to document and date your ideas, as well as any development process. You can also consider consulting with a lawyer to review your employment contract and discuss potential protections for your intellectual property rights.