Can energy exist by itself (without time and matter)?

In summary, energy is not a thing, but rather a characteristic of things. It cannot exist without time and matter, as it is defined in terms of meters, kilograms, and seconds. Time and matter are also inseparable, as all our values for time are defined with respect to matter. While it is possible to have a universe made entirely of energy, it would still require the existence of matter and time to measure and define it.
The Math Guy
I have a question. Can energy exist by itself (without time and matter)? Or is it the case that if there is energy, then there must be matter (and therefore time)?

Physics news on Phys.org
energy is not a thing, it's a characteristic of things. Asking if there can be energy without things is like asking if there can be color without light.

phinds said:
energy is not a thing, it's a characteristic of things. Asking if there can be energy without things is like asking if there can be color without light.

So then would I be correct in saying that time, matter, and energy are all inseparable? The three always exist together?

The Math Guy said:
So then would I be correct in saying that time, matter, and energy are all inseparable? The three always exist together?

The word "exist" is problematic, because the three kinds of things you mention are three different kinds of things. Even if one were to say they all "exist", they don't all exist in the same way.

Can you give some more context about why this question concerns you? We could give a better answer if we knew more about why you want to know.

PeterDonis said:
The word "exist" is problematic, because the three kinds of things you mention are three different kinds of things. Even if one were to say they all "exist", they don't all exist in the same way.

Can you give some more context about why this question concerns you? We could give a better answer if we knew more about why you want to know.

For example, we know that time and matter are inseparable. If time exists, then matter exists, and vice versa. I'm specifically wondering if it is possible for energy to exist without time. Could an entire universe be made of nothing but energy while being outside time?

The Math Guy said:
For example, we know that time and matter are inseparable.

How do we know this?

The Math Guy said:
Could an entire universe be made of nothing but energy while being outside time?

What would it mean for a universe to be "outside time"?

You seem to me to be speculating without a good conceptual basis.

Likes PeroK
If you take a close look at international standards, The fundamental unit of energy is the Joule, which is expressed in terms of meters, kilograms and seconds. Since the second and kilogram are fundamental to the internationally recognized unit of energy, it follows there is no internationally accepted definition of energy independent of time or matter. You will notice that distance [meters] is also a component in the fundamental definition of energy, so we may as well lump that in there, as well.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK and The Math Guy
PeterDonis said:
How do we know this?
What would it mean for a universe to be "outside time"?

You seem to me to be speculating without a good conceptual basis.

We know time and matter are inseparable because all of our values for time are defined with respect to matter. What is a day? One full rotation of the earth. What is a year? One full revolution around the sun. What is one second? “‘9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom.’”[1] In any and all cases one can name, time is defined with respect to matter. If there was no matter, then time would not exist. Likewise, if time did not exist, then there would be no matter. What I was wondering is if energy could exist without matter. However, Chronos made the excellent point that energy is defined with respect to matter as well, so that answers my question.[1] https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-does-one-arrive-at-th/

Chronos said:
If you take a close look at international standards, The fundamental unit of energy is the Joule, which is expressed in terms of meters, kilograms and seconds. Since the second and kilogram are fundamental to the internationally recognized unit of energy, it follows there is no internationally accepted definition of energy independent of time or matter. You will notice that distance [meters] is also a component in the fundamental definition of energy, so we may as well lump that in there, as well.

Thank you Chronos! That is an excellent point and answers my question.

The Math Guy said:
We know time and matter are inseparable because all of our values for time are defined with respect to matter.

That just means we, here on Earth, use matter to measure time. It doesn't justify the claim that "time and matter are inseparable" period.

Light has an energy content. It also has an intrinsic spin angular momentum for a photon, and linear momentum. While it MAY be converted into entities with mass via a set of processes that obeys conservation laws, light itself has no mass content.

Secondly, another simple example is the electrostatic energy, such as the electrostatic potential energy. It depends only on charge content. Now, granted that a "charge" usually is carried by entities with mass (we are ignoring the exotic effects in many-body interactions, such as that resulting in spin-charge separation). Still, it doesn't change the fact that the calculation and definition of such electrostatic energy depends only on charge and not on the mass of these entities.

So I consider these two as examples where energy is not intrinsically tied to mass. Energy is intrinsically tied to space and time.

BTW, I do not understand why this is in the Cosmology forum.

Zz.

Likes JMz and The Math Guy
PeterDonis said:
That just means we, here on Earth, use matter to measure time. It doesn't justify the claim that "time and matter are inseparable" period.

If the universe had no matter/energy in it, then time would not be ticking. Nothing would be happening, and there would be no way to differentiate units of time. One second and one million years would be essentially equivalent, so time would be both meaningless and nonexistent. If there is matter in the universe, then we may speak of time as existing. If there is no matter, then there is no time, and conversely, if time cannot be measured anywhere in the universe, then there must be no matter anywhere in the universe (or else the entire universe is frozen still and stuck that way for eternity).

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

Sorry. I put it here by mistake. My bad.
I asked a different question in the Cosmology Forum that was about Cosmology, but it got deleted for apparently not following the forum rules (which is ridiculous because I did follow the rules). Ironically, this question (which is not directly about Cosmology) was not deleted.

ZapperZ said:
Light has an energy content. It also has an intrinsic spin angular momentum for a photon, and linear momentum. While it MAY be converted into entities with mass via a set of processes that obeys conservation laws, light itself has no mass content.

Secondly, another simple example is the electrostatic energy, such as the electrostatic potential energy. It depends only on charge content. Now, granted that a "charge" usually is carried by entities with mass (we are ignoring the exotic effects in many-body interactions, such as that resulting in spin-charge separation). Still, it doesn't change the fact that the calculation and definition of such electrostatic energy depends only on charge and not on the mass of these entities.

So I consider these two as examples where energy is not intrinsically tied to mass. Energy is intrinsically tied to space and time.

Zz.

Thank you for those useful examples. I'll look into those. Thanks again!

The Math Guy said:
If the universe had no matter/energy in it, then time would not be ticking. Nothing would be happening, and there would be no way to differentiate units of time. One second and one million years would be essentially equivalent, so time would be both meaningless and nonexistent. If there is matter in the universe, then we may speak of time as existing. If there is no matter, then there is no time, and conversely, if time cannot be measured anywhere in the universe, then there must be no matter anywhere in the universe (or else the entire universe is frozen still and stuck that way for eternity).

Then you might want to contact whoever actually understood the Big Bang model of the universe and wrote this at the CERN webpage:

In the first moments after the Big Bang, the universe was extremely hot and dense. As the universe cooled, conditions became just right to give rise to the building blocks of matter – the quarks and electrons of which we are all made. A few millionths of a second later, quarks aggregated to produce protons and neutrons.

This implies that for a very short time, there was ZERO matter in the universe before the first leptons and quarks formed. According to you, the universe could not have existed because there is no "time".

Zz.

Likes The Math Guy
The Math Guy said:
If the universe had no matter/energy in it, then time would not be ticking. Nothing would be happening, and there would be no way to differentiate units of time.

I realize this sounds plausible, but it is not correct according to our current theories. According to General Relativity, it is perfectly possible to have a spacetime with no matter and energy in it that still has a definite notion of time.

The Math Guy said:
I asked a different question in the Cosmology Forum that was about Cosmology, but it got deleted for apparently not following the forum rules (which is ridiculous because I did follow the rules).

Your post got deleted because it was personal speculation, not physics. The PF rules do not allow personal speculation.

Likes JMz and The Math Guy
ZapperZ said:
Then you might want to contact whoever actually understood the Big Bang model of the universe and wrote this at the CERN webpage:
This implies that for a very short time, there was ZERO matter in the universe before the first leptons and quarks formed. According to you, the universe could not have existed before there is no "time".

Zz.

Thanks. You are being very helpful. This is actually what I was trying to ask about with my initial question.

ZapperZ said:
I do not understand why this is in the Cosmology forum.

I'm not sure where else we would put it.

PeterDonis said:
Your post got deleted because it was personal speculation, not physics. The PF rules do not allow personal speculation.

Thanks for the clarification

PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure where else we would put it.

General Physics. The level of understanding, so far, has been at a very basic level, and it involves a more general concept of "energy", rather than the formation of the universe.

Zz.

Likes The Math Guy
PeterDonis said:
I realize this sounds plausible, but it is not correct according to our current theories. According to General Relativity, it is perfectly possible to have a spacetime with no matter and energy in it that still has a definite notion of time.

Thank you, I'll look into General Relativity also.

ZapperZ said:
General Physics. The level of understanding, so far, has been at a very basic level, and it involves a more general concept of "energy", rather than the formation of the universe.

Zz.

Thanks. Sorry about the trouble.

The Math Guy said:
I have a question. Can energy exist by itself (without time and matter)? Or is it the case that if there is energy, then there must be matter (and therefore time)?
The Math Guy said:
In 100% of the universes that we have investigated there is energy, time, and matter.

Last edited:
The Math Guy said:
If time exists, then matter exists, and vice versa.

The word "time" used in such context is almost a weasel word. Time is relative to the person using said word. We only know of "our" time.

Is there a hypothetical time outside our time? Unknown. And if so, it is of an unknown dimension with unknown content.

I have a question on clarifying some of the statements above...

Zz, you stated:

ZapperZ said:
This implies that for a very short time, there was ZERO matter in the universe before the first leptons and quarks formed. According to you, the universe could not have existed because there is no "time".

Zz.

And yet phinds says:

phinds said:

If energy is a characteristic of things, and is nonsensical to talk about without the context of applying it to 'something', then how could the very early universe be described as 'hot' while simultaneously being described as containing zero matter?

Thanks.

“Hot” as in the amount of energy density.

Zz.

Funestis said:
If energy is a characteristic of things, and is nonsensical to talk about without the context of applying it to 'something', then how could the very early universe be described as 'hot' while simultaneously being described as containing zero matter?

Because "matter" isn't the only kind of energy density. If all of the energy density is in massless fields, then there is no "matter" (since the term "matter" customarily refers to fields that have nonzero mass), but there can still be a high energy density and high temperature.

That said, I'm not sure the description given on the CERN webpage is actually an accurate description of our current best fit model. As I understand it, in the first moments after the Big Bang, there was already a lot of energy density and consequently a high temperature in all of the Standard Model fields, including the quarks and leptons. The CERN description makes it sound like the energy density only got transferred to the quarks and leptons after the universe had cooled somewhat from the Big Bang. I don't think that's correct.

It's possible that the CERN description is actually intended to refer to one of the phase transitions that happened after the universe had cooled, the electroweak phase transition. Before the electroweak phase transition, all of the Standard Model fields were massless (including the quark and lepton fields), so technically none of them qualified as "matter" by the customary definition I gave above. So technically no "matter" existed in the universe until after the electroweak phase transition--but, as noted above, that does not mean the universe was not hot, just that the heat was not stored in fields with nonzero mass (since there weren't any yet). Even if I'm correct that that's what the CERN webpage was intended to describe, though, I don't think the description is a good one; quarks and leptons existed before the phase transition.

Likes QuantumQuest

1. Can energy exist without time and matter?

There is currently no scientific evidence or theoretical framework to suggest that energy can exist without time and matter. In fact, the concept of energy is closely tied to both time and matter, as energy is defined as the ability to do work or cause change in matter over time.

2. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in the universe remains constant. However, matter can be converted into energy and vice versa through processes like nuclear reactions or particle-antiparticle annihilation.

3. How is energy related to the concept of time?

Time is a fundamental component of energy as energy is defined as the ability to do work or cause change over time. In fact, the unit of energy (joule) is defined as the amount of work done by a force of one newton acting over a distance of one meter in one second. Without the element of time, the concept of energy would not exist.

4. Can energy be observed directly?

Energy itself cannot be observed directly, but its effects can be observed and measured. For example, the flow of electrical energy can be observed through the movement of electrons, and the release of energy in a chemical reaction can be observed through changes in temperature or the production of light.

5. Is energy the same as force?

No, energy and force are two distinct concepts in physics. Force is a push or pull on an object that can cause it to accelerate, while energy is the ability to do work. However, energy and force are related, as the work done by a force is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance over which it acts.