Can Excel Solve for y in a Power 4 Equation?

• Thread starter edmondng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, solving for y - has power 4 means finding the value of y that satisfies an equation with the variable raised to the fourth power. This can be done by taking the fourth root of both sides of the equation. There can be multiple solutions for an equation with a variable raised to the fourth power. The specific method for solving these equations involves taking the fourth root and may also involve other algebraic techniques. These equations have real-life applications in physics, engineering, finance, and economics.
edmondng
I tried TI89 and it did not work

Trying to solve for y in the following equation. I don't have a lot of software resource available to me so no matlab/mathematica/mathcad etc
I'm going try in excel if it can do it.

-383^(4-y) + 408^(4-y) + 297^(4-y) - 301^(4-y) = 3.358*10^10Thanks

edit: did anyone get y = -0.283068? TI work but said multiple solution may exist

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maple gives y = -.2822793449

thanks that work out. i rounded those numbers i posted above the 383 etc so should be the same or close

1. What does "Solve for y - has power 4" mean?

When an equation is written as "Solve for y - has power 4", it means that the equation has a variable, y, raised to the fourth power (y⁴). The task is to find the value of y that makes the equation true.

2. How do I solve an equation with a variable raised to the fourth power?

To solve an equation with a variable raised to the fourth power, you can use the inverse operation, which is taking the fourth root (⁴√) of both sides of the equation. This will cancel out the fourth power on the variable and leave you with the value of y.

3. Can an equation with a variable raised to the fourth power have more than one solution?

Yes, an equation with a variable raised to the fourth power can have more than one solution. This is because taking the fourth root of a number can result in both a positive and negative solution.

4. Is there a specific method for solving equations with a variable raised to the fourth power?

Yes, there is a specific method for solving equations with a variable raised to the fourth power, which is taking the fourth root of both sides of the equation. This method may also involve using other algebraic techniques such as factoring or substitution.

5. Are there any real-life applications of solving equations with a variable raised to the fourth power?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of solving equations with a variable raised to the fourth power. For example, in physics and engineering, equations with variables raised to the fourth power are commonly used to model relationships between variables in physical systems. They can also be used in finance and economics to calculate compound interest and growth rates.