Can Fourier Analysis Represent Any Function Using Sin and Cos?

In summary: FourierIn summary, Fourier used sine and cosine functions in his series because he discovered that they are orthogonal to each other, which means that their integral over a certain interval can be zero. This allowed him to represent any periodic function as an infinite sum of these functions. He was inspired by the wave equation in his discovery.
LLT71
has Fourier used sin(x) and cos(x) in his series because "there must be such interval [a,b] where integral of "some function"*sin(x) on that interval will be zero?" so based on that he concluded that any function can be represented by infinite sum of sin(x) and cos(x) cause they are "orthogonal" to any function.

let me recall my last thread on "orthogonality" as well to see if I got it right or missed the whole point:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/orthogonality-of-functions.891717/#post-5611182

extra question: is there possibility that you can find such "a" and "b" where ∫f(x)dx from a to b = zero or at least "try" using some "equation" or so?

thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
LLT71 said:
any function can be represented by infinite sum of sin(x) and cos(x) cause they are "orthogonal" to any function
That's not the case and that's not the idea.
You know a little about music ? There are tones and there are overtones (harmonics).
Let's keep it simple and start with periodic functions: functions for which ##f(x+T)=f(x)##. Such ##f## can be written as $$ f(x) = \sum A_n\sin\left ({2\pi nx \over T}\right ) + B_n\cos\left ({2\pi nx \over T}\right )$$precisely because the functions ## sin\left ({2\pi nx \over T}\right ) ## and ## cos\left ({2\pi nx \over T}\right ) ## are orthogonal (wrt each other -- NOT wrt any function). See here what that means.

(If they were orthogonal to any function, all the ##A_n## and ##B_n## would be zero and you wouldn't get anywhere with your summation :smile: )

BvU said:
See here what that means.

sorry for late reply (was away from home). your link doesn't work somehow. ok let's reformulate my question: out of all orthogonal functions why did he particularly choosed sin(x) and cos(x)?

Because Fourier was inspired by the wave equation.

Likes LLT71
LLT71 said:
sorry for late reply (was away from home). your link doesn't work somehow. ok let's reformulate my question: out of all orthogonal functions why did he particularly choosed sin(x) and cos(x)?
Harmonics is google search for "harmonic analysis in Fourier series" (google forced a .nl instead of .com in there, perhaps that's the reason it doesn't work).
The other was a paste error and I can't find it back. Crux was that $$\int \sin 2\pi nx \sin 2\pi mx =\delta_{nm}$$ (with some normalization) etc, as here or in point 6 here

:smile:

BvU said:
Harmonics is google search for "harmonic analysis in Fourier series" (google forced a .nl instead of .com in there, perhaps that's the reason it doesn't work).
The other was a paste error and I can't find it back. Crux was that $$\int \sin 2\pi nx \sin 2\pi mx =\delta_{nm}$$ (with some normalization) etc, as here or in point 6 here

:smile:
thank you!

the problem is difficult!

Hello Annarosy, :welcome:

It is and it is not. But Fourier analysis definitely is a very powerful tool in science, so it's worth investing an effort.

micromass said:
Because Fourier was inspired by the wave equation
Check out (our google one that suits your tastes better) e.g. here or http://www.math.harvard.edu/archive/21b_fall_07/handouts/heat_and_wave_equation.pdf

Likes LLT71

1. What is a Fourier Series equation?

A Fourier Series equation is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes.

2. How is a Fourier Series equation derived?

A Fourier Series equation is derived using the Fourier Series expansion formula, which involves calculating the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms through integration.

3. What is the purpose of a Fourier Series equation?

The main purpose of a Fourier Series equation is to analyze and approximate periodic functions in various fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing.

4. What are the applications of a Fourier Series equation?

A Fourier Series equation has numerous applications, including signal analysis and processing, image and sound compression, solving differential equations, and analyzing mechanical and electrical systems.

5. How can I solve a problem using a Fourier Series equation?

To solve a problem using a Fourier Series equation, you first need to understand the properties and techniques of Fourier Series, then apply the expansion formula and manipulate the coefficients to find the solution.