1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can fractals sum to a linear function?

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    Does there exist a set of fractals whose sum defines a differentiable field?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean, but I think I can shed some light on it.

Generally, when you want to answer the question: "Can two ugly things sum to a nice thing?", you can usually answer in the affirmative by picking any ugly thing, then subtracting it from a nice thing. If this subtraction yields another ugly thing, then you have two ugly things that add to a nice thing.

4. Oct 31, 2004 #3
    Nice way to explain, really nice ... you should write a book Hurkyl

5. Oct 31, 2004 #4
    nice explanation Hurkyl...

marlon

6. Oct 31, 2004 #5
    Is it possible that a superposition of fractal fields yields a linear field? I hope this is sufficiently ugly, Hurkyl (please forgive my mathematical illiteracy).

7. Oct 31, 2004 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem is, those terms just don't go together. I really have no idea what you are trying to say.

8. Oct 31, 2004 #7
    Hurkyl,

A fractal pattern is assumed discontinuous and nonlinear. I was wondering whether the "superposition" (sum of values for every correspondent point) over two or more such fractals could generate a continuous, linear pattern.

Consider a fractal of dimension 1.2 projected onto a fractal of dimension 1.8; might this mapping ever represent a differentiable geometry of dimension 3, or even of dimension 2?

9. Nov 1, 2004 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Again, you're using words in an alien way. "represent a differential geometry"?

The simple answer is of course you can sum two fractal curves of non-integer dimension and get something nice:

embed your favourite fractal curve y=f(x), and 1-f(x) in the plane, then the sum will be 1just as hurkyl said.

10. Nov 1, 2004 #9
    Is there a simple proof that fractals are not differentiable?

11. Nov 1, 2004 #10
    ... or are fractals differentiable by fractional derivatives?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook