Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can fractals sum to a linear function?

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    Does there exist a set of fractals whose sum defines a differentiable field?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean, but I think I can shed some light on it.

Generally, when you want to answer the question: "Can two ugly things sum to a nice thing?", you can usually answer in the affirmative by picking any ugly thing, then subtracting it from a nice thing. If this subtraction yields another ugly thing, then you have two ugly things that add to a nice thing.

4. Oct 31, 2004 #3
    Nice way to explain, really nice ... you should write a book Hurkyl

5. Oct 31, 2004 #4
    nice explanation Hurkyl...

marlon

6. Oct 31, 2004 #5
    Is it possible that a superposition of fractal fields yields a linear field? I hope this is sufficiently ugly, Hurkyl (please forgive my mathematical illiteracy).

7. Oct 31, 2004 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem is, those terms just don't go together. I really have no idea what you are trying to say.

8. Oct 31, 2004 #7
    Hurkyl,

A fractal pattern is assumed discontinuous and nonlinear. I was wondering whether the "superposition" (sum of values for every correspondent point) over two or more such fractals could generate a continuous, linear pattern.

Consider a fractal of dimension 1.2 projected onto a fractal of dimension 1.8; might this mapping ever represent a differentiable geometry of dimension 3, or even of dimension 2?

9. Nov 1, 2004 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Again, you're using words in an alien way. "represent a differential geometry"?

The simple answer is of course you can sum two fractal curves of non-integer dimension and get something nice:

embed your favourite fractal curve y=f(x), and 1-f(x) in the plane, then the sum will be 1just as hurkyl said.

10. Nov 1, 2004 #9
    Is there a simple proof that fractals are not differentiable?

11. Nov 1, 2004 #10
    ... or are fractals differentiable by fractional derivatives?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?